- •The delivered dose was unevenly distributed in the vicinity of a cardiac device.
- •Treatment planning systems were generally poor at estimating the pacemaker dose.
- •Skin dose exceeded pacemaker dose in head and neck treatments, but not in lung cases.
- •Simple square field reference data is useful even for more complex treatments.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- The 11th world survey of cardiac pacing and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators: calendar year 2009–a World Society of Arrhythmia’s project.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2011; 34: 1013-1027
- Radiotherapy to patients with artificial cardiac pacemakers.Cancer Treat Rev. 2005; 31: 474-486
- Radiotherapy in patients with cardiac pacemakers.Br J Radiol. 2014; 71: 4-10
- Treatment of patients with cardiac pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators during radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004; 59: 897-904
- Pacemaker failure induced by radiotherapy.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 1994; 17: 270-273
- Influence of high-energy photon beam irradiation on pacemaker operation.Phys Med Biol. 2002; 47: 2879-2893
- Radiotherapy in patients with pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators: a literature review.Europace. 2015;
- Management of radiation oncology patients with a pacemaker or ICD: a new comprehensive practical guideline in The Netherlands.Radiat Oncol. 2012; 7: 1-10
- Fetal dose from radiotherapy with photon beams: report of AAPM radiation therapy committee task group no. 36.Med Phys. 1995; 22: 63-82
- Peripheral dose from megavolt beams.Med Phys. 1983; 10: 809-818
- The accuracy of the out-of-field dose calculations using a model based algorithm in a commercial treatment planning system.Phys Med Biol. 2014; 59: N113-N128
- Accuracy of out-of-field dose calculation of tomotherapy and cyberknife treatment planning systems: a dosimetric study.Z Med Phys. 2014; 24: 211-215
- Accuracy of out-of-field dose calculations by a commercial treatment planning system.Phys Med Biol. 2010; 55: 6999-7008
- A comparison of out-of-field dose and its constituent components for intensity-modulated radiation therapy versus conformal radiation therapy: implications for carcinogenesis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 81: 1458-1464
- Establishing radiation therapy treatment planning effects involving implantable pacemakers and implantable cardioverter-defibrillators.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2010; 11: 33-45
- Beam profile disturbances from implantable pacemakers or implantable cardioverter-defibrillator interactions.Med Dosim. 2011; 36: 358-364
- Measuring pacemaker dose: a clinical perspective.Med Dosim. 2012; 37: 170-174
- Estimating and reducing dose received by cardiac devices for patients undergoing radiotherapy.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2015; 16: 411-422
- Dosimetric characterization and use of GAFCHROMIC EBT3 film for IMRT dose verification.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2013; 14: 158-171
- Local heterogeneities in early batches of EBT2 film: a suggested solution.Phys Med Biol. 2010; 55: L37-L42
Gohlke C. tifffile.py: read and write image data from and to TIFF files; 2015. <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tifffile>.
- Evaluation of a Gafchromic EBT2 film dosimetry system for radiotherapy quality assurance.Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 2011; 34: 251-260
- Variations in photon energy spectra of a 6 MV beam and their impact on TLD response.Med Phys. 2011; 38: 2619-2628
- Technical note: calibrating radiochromic film in beams of uncertain quality.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 5647-5652
- The IPEMB code of practice for the determination of absorbed dose for X-rays below 300 kV generating potential (0.035 mm Al – 4 mm Cu HVL; 10–300 kV generating potential).Phys Med Biol. 1996; 41: 2605-2625
- Absorbed dose determination in external beam radiotherapy: an international code of practice for dosimetry based on standards of absorbed dose to water.in: IAEA technical reports series no. 398. IAEA, Vienna2000
- Dosimetric properties of improved GafChromic films for seven different digitizers.Med Phys. 2004; 31: 2392-2401
- A stable and efficient algorithm for nonlinear orthogonal distance regression.SIAM J Sci Comput. 1987; 8: 1052-1078
Jones E, Oliphant T, Peterson P. SciPy: open source scientific tools for Python; 2001. <http://www.scipy.org/>.
- Characterization of optically stimulated luminescent dosimeters, OSLDs, for clinical dosimetric measurements.Med Phys. 2007; 34: 4594-4604
- The energy dependence and dose response of a commercial optically stimulated luminescent detector for kilovoltage photon, megavoltage photon, and electron, proton, and carbon beams.Med Phys. 2009; 36: 1690-1699
- Angular dependence of the response of the nanoDot OSLD system for measurements at depth in clinical megavoltage beams.Med Phys. 2014; 41: 061712-1-061712-9
- A Monte Carlo model for calculating out-of-field dose from a Varian 6 MV beam.Med Phys. 2006; 33: 4405-4413
- Out-of-field dose measurements in a water phantom using different radiotherapy modalities.Phys Med Biol. 2012; 57: 5059-5074
- Accuracy and sources of error of out-of field dose calculations by a commercial treatment planning system for intensity-modulated radiation therapy treatments.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2013; 14: 186-197