- •SBRT is the non-surgical standard option for patients with early stage lung cancer.
- •Risk-adapted SBRT is highly effective and low toxic for both peripheral and central tumors.
- •SBRT use is increasing for lung metastases, in combination with systemic agents.
- •Standardization of planning and delivery processes is essential in further developing SBRT.
- •Further technical advances are essential for safely expanding SBRT indications.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Stereotactic high dose fraction radiation therapy of extracranial tumors using an accelerator. Clinical experience of the first thirty-one patients.Acta Oncol. 1995; 34: 861-870
- Focal, high dose, and fractionated modified stereotactic radiation therapy for lung carcinoma patients: a preliminary experience.Cancer. 1998; 82: 1062-1070
- Stereotactic radiotherapy of extracranial targets: CT-simulation and accuracy of treatment in the stereotactic body frame.Radiother Oncol. 2000; 57: 225-236
- Extracranial stereotactic radioablation: results of a phase I study in medically inoperable stage I non-small cell lung cancer.Chest. 2003; 124: 1946-1955
Senan S, Guckenberger M, Ricardi U. Stage I NSCLC and oligometastatic disease. IASLC Textbook Multidisciplinary approach to Thoracic Oncology; 2014, 1st ed.
NCCN Non-Small Cancer Guidelines Version 7.2015. Available at <https://www.nccn.org/>.
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy of early-stage non-small-cell lung carcinoma: phase I study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005; 63: 1010-1015
- Prospective study on stereotactic radiotherapy of limited-stage non-small-cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: S128-S135
- Outcome in a prospective phase II trial of medically inoperable stage I non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with stereotactic body radiotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3290-3296
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy for inoperable early stage lung cancer.JAMA. 2010; 303: 1070-1076
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy for early stage non-small cell lung cancer: results of a prospective trial.Lung cancer. 2010; 68: 72-77
- Prospective, risk- adapted strategy of stereotactic body radiotherapy for early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer: results of a phase II trial.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 80: 1343-1349
- Safety and efficacy of stereotactic body radiotherapy for stage 1 non-small-cell lung cancer in routine clinical practice: a patterns-of-care and outcome analysis.J Thorac Oncol. 2013; 8: 1050-1058
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for stage I histologically proven non-small cell lung cancer: an Italian multicenter observational study.Lung Cancer. 2014; 84: 248-253
- Patterns of disease recurrence after stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for early stage non-small-cell lung cancer: a retrospective analysis.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: 802-809
- Stage I non small cell lung cancer in patients aged ⩾75 years.Cancer. 2010; 15: 406-414
- Impact of introducing stereotactic lung radiotherapy for elderly patients with stage I Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: a population-based time-trend analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 5153-5159
- 2nd ESMO Consensus Conference on Lung Cancer: early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer consensus on diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.. 2014; 25: 1462-1474
- SPACE - a randomized study of SBRT vs conventional fractionated radiotherapy in medically inoperable stage I NSCLC.. 2014; 111: 232(S)
- Systemic review of the patterns of failure following stereotactic body radiation therapy in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer: clinical implications.Radiother Oncol. 2010; 94: 1-11
- Imaging features associated with disease progression after stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for stage I non-small-cell lung cancer.Clin Lung Cancer. 2014; 15: 294-301
- 18F-deoxyglucose uptake in stage I non-small-cell lung cancer: time to move to randomized trials.J Thorac Oncol. 2014; 9: 5-6
- Predicting overall survival after stereotactic ablative radiation therapy in early-stage lung cancer: development and external validation of the Amsterdam prognostic model.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 82-90
- Comparison of clinical outcome of stage I non-small cell lung cancer treated surgically or with stereotactic radiotherapy: results from propensity score analysis.Lung Cancer. 2015; 87: 283-289
- No clinically significant changes in pulmonary function following stereotactic body radiation therapy for early- stage peripheral non-small cell lung cancer: an analysis of RTOG 0236.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 88: 1092-1099
- Pulmonary function and quality of life after VMAT-based stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for early stage inoperable NSCLC: a prospective study.Lung Cancer. 2015; 89: 350-356
- Patient-reported quality of life after stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for early-stage lung cancer.J Thorac Oncol. 2012; 7: 1148-1154
- Radiotherapy alone for medically inoperable stage I non-small-cell lung cancer: the Duke experience.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 40: 149-154
- Basic clinical radiobiology.4th ed. Hodder Arnold, London2009
- Stereotactic hypofractionated high-dose irradiation for stage I non- small cell lung carcinoma: clinical outcomes in 245 subjects in a Japanese Multiinstitutional Study.Cancer. 2004; 101: 1623-1631
- Dose-response in stereotactic irradiation of lung tumors.Radiother Oncol. 2005; 77: 83-87
- Dose-response relationship with clinical outcome for lung stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) delivered via online image guidance.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 110: 499-504
- Increasing radiation therapy dose is associated with improved survival in patients undergoing stereotactic body radiation therapy for Stage I non–small-cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 344-350
- NRG oncology RTOG 0915 (NCCTG N0927): a randomized Phase II study comparing 2 stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) schedules for medically inoperable patients with Stage I peripheral non-small cell lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 757-764
- High-dose and fractionation effect in stereotactic radiation therapy: analysis of tumor control data from 2965 patients.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 115: 327-334
- Modeling local control after hypofractionated stereotactic body radiation therapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer: a report from the Elekta Collaborative lung research group.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: e379-e384
- S high-dose stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for stage I non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) overkill? A systematic review.Radiother Oncol. 2012; 105: 145-149
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for centrally located early stage non-small-cell lung cancer: what we have learned.J Thorac Oncol. 2015; 10: 577-585
- Excessive toxicity when treating central tumors in a phase II study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for medically inoperable early-stage lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 4833-4839
- Outcomes of stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for central lung tumours: a systematic review.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 106: 276-282
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) in central non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): solid evidence or ‘no-go’?.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 109: 178-179
- Stereotactic ablative radiation therapy for centrally located early stage or isolated parenchymal recurrences of non-small cell lung cancer: how to fly in a “no fly zone”.Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 88: 1120-1128
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy (SABR) for treatment of central and ultra-central lung tumors.Lung Cancer. 2015; 89: 50-56
- Clinical applications of stereotactic radiotherapy for oligometastatic cancer patients: a disease-oriented approach.J Rad Res. 2016; (Mar 8. pii: rrw006. [Epub ahead of print])
- Oligometastases and oligo-recurrence: the new era of cancer therapy.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2010; 40: 107-111
- Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for pulmonary oligometastases and oligometastatic lung cancer.J Thorac Oncol. 2014; 9: 1426-1433
- The oligometastatic state: separate truth from wishful thinking.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2014; 11: 549-557
- Stereotactic ablative radiation therapy as first local therapy for lung oligometastases from colorectal cancer: a single-institution cohort study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 524-529
- Exploratory analysis on overall survival after either surgery or stereotactic radiotherapy for lung oligometastases from colorectal cancer.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2016; 28: 505-512
- Survival of patients with advanced metastatic melanoma: the impact of novel therapies.Eur J Canc. 2016; 53: 125-134
Herzberg B, Campo MJ, Gainor JF. Immune checkpoint inhibitors in non-small cell lung cancer. Oncologist. 2016 Aug 17. pii: theoncologist.2016-0189. [Epub ahead of print].
- The optimal partnership of radiation and immunotherapy: from preclinical studies to clinical translation.Radiat Res. 2014; 182: 170-181
- Combining RT and cancer immunotherapy: a paradigm shift.J Natl Canc Inst. 2013; 105: 256-265
- Radiotherapy and immune checkpoint inhibitors for advanced melanoma.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 120: 1-12
- The efficacy of tumor vaccines and cellular immunotherapies in non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 3204-3212
Sharma RA, Plummer R, Stock JK, et al. Clinical development of new drug-radiotherapy combinations. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2016 adv online publication.
- A critical review of recent developments in radiotherapy for non-small cell lung cancer.Rad Onc. 2016; 11: 115
- Radiation oncology: physics advances that minimize morbidity.Future Oncology. 2014; 10: 2329-2344
- Evaluation of the motion of lung tumors during stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) with four-dimensional computed tomography (4DCT) using real-time tumor-tracking radiotherapy system (RTRT).Physica Med. 2016; 32: 305-311
- Applying radiobiological plan ranking methodology to VMAT prostate SBRT.Physica Med. 2016; 32: 636-641