- •Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy in the lung is a challenging technique.
- •High quality clinical trials are required to answer outstanding clinical questions.
- •Quality assurance of these clinical trials ensures the safety of the treatment and minimises the variation in treatment.
- •Review of the quality assurance process in clinical trials.
- •Updated data for the differences in calculated and measured data for different TPS algorithms in lung.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- The role of technology in clinical trials using stereotactic body radiotherapy.Br J Radiol. 2017;
- What do radiation oncologists require for future advancements in lung SBRT?.Phys Med. 2016; 16: 1120-1797
- QA makes a clinical trial stronger: evidence-based medicine in radiation therapy.Radiother Oncol. 2012; 105: 4-8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2012.08.008
NRG-BR001: a Phase 1 study of Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) for the treatment of multiple metastases; n.d. https://www.nrgoncology.org/Clinical-Trials/NRG-BR001.
NRG-BR002: a Phase IIR/III trial of standard of care therapy with or without Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) and/or surgical ablation for newly oligometastatic breast cancer.
LungTech: Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) of inoperable centrally located NSCLC (LungTech).
- LungTech, an EORTC Phase II trial of stereotactic body radiotherapy for centrally located lung tumours: a clinical perspective.Br J Radiol. 2015; 88: 1051https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20150036
- Lungtech, a phase II EORTC trial of SBRT for centrally located lung tumours – a clinical physics perspective.Radiat Oncol. 2016; 20: 7
Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy for Oligometastatic Non-small Cell Lung Cancer (SARON); n.d. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02417662.
Conventional care Versus Radioablation (Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy) for Extracranial Oligometastases (CORE); n.d. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT02759783.
- A randomised phase II trial of Stereotactic Ablative Fractionated radiotherapy versus Radiosurgery for Oligometastatic Neoplasia to the lung (TROG 13.01 SAFRON II).BMC Cancer. 2016; 16: 183https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-016-2227-z
- Marginal prescription equivalent to the isocenter prescription in lung stereotactic body radiotherapy: preliminary study for Japan Clinical Oncology Group trial (JCOG1408).J Radiat Res. 2017; 58: 149-154
- Canadian phase III randomized trial of stereotactic body radiotherapy versus conventionally hypofractionated radiotherapy for stage I, medically inoperable non-small-cell lung cancer - rationale and protocol design for the Ontario Clinical Oncology Group.Clin Lung Cancer. 2016; 16https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cllc.2016.08.002
- Early results of a quality assurance program in a randomized trial of stereotactic body radiotherapy for stage I medically inoperable lung cancer.J Thorac Oncol. 2015; 10: 24
- A template for writing radiotherapy protocols.Acta Oncol. 2015; 54: 275-279
- EORTC guidelines for writing protocols for clinical trials of radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 1995; 36: 1-8
- Recommendations for implementing stereotactic radiotherapy in peripheral stage IA non-small cell lung cancer: report from the Quality Assurance Working Party of the randomised phase III ROSEL study.Radiat Oncol. 2009; 12: 1
- Quality assurance of 4D-CT scan techniques in multicenter phase III trial of surgery versus stereotactic radiotherapy (radiosurgery or surgery for operable early stage (stage 1A) non-small-cell lung cancer [ROSEL] study).Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 80: 918-927
- Impact of 4D-(18)FDG-PET/CT imaging on target volume delineation in SBRT patients with central versus peripheral lung tumors. Multi-reader comparative study.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 115: 335-341
- Target delineation variability and corresponding margins of peripheral early stage NSCLC treated with stereotactic body radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 114: 361-366
- The impact of peer review of volume delineation in stereotactic body radiation therapy planning for primary lung cancer: a multicenter quality assurance study.J Thorac Oncol. 2014; 9: 527-533
- Interobserver delineation variation in lung tumour stereotactic body radiotherapy.Br J Radiol. 2012; 85: 654-660
- Lung stereotactic ablative body radiotherapy: a large scale multi-institutional planning comparison for interpreting results of multi-institutional studies.Phys Med. 2016; 32: 600-606
- Global harmonization of quality assurance naming conventions in radiation therapy clinical trials.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: 1242-1249https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.08.348
Palmer A, Nash D, Jafari S, Muscat S. Development of a novel “end to end” dosimetry audit of motion management in radiotherapy. In: ESTRO 37 Vienna; 2017.
- A 2D ion chamber array audit of wedged and asymmetric fields in an inhomogeneous lung phantom.Med Phys. 2014; 41: 101712
- Dosimetric inter-institutional comparison in European radiotherapy centres: results of IAEA supported treatment planning system audit.Acta Oncol. 2014; 53: 628-636
- Dosimetric verification of radiotherapy treatment planning systems: results of IAEA pilot study.Radiother Oncol. 2009; 89: 338-346
Fogliata A, Cozzi L. Dose calculation algorithm accuracy for small fields in non-homogeneous media: the lung SBRT case. Phys Med; n.d. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2016.11.104.
- Algorithms used in heterogeneous dose calculations show systematic differences as measured with the Radiological Physics Center’s anthropomorphic thorax phantom used for RTOG credentialing.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: 95-100
- A national dosimetry audit for stereotactic ablative radiotherapy in lung.Radiat Oncol. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2016.12.016
- AAPM Medical Physics Practice Guideline 5a: commissioning and QA of treatment planning dose calculations – megavoltage photon and electron beams.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2015; 16: 14-34
- European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer recommendations for planning and delivery of high-dose, high-precision radiotherapy for lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 5301-5310https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.30.3271
- National dosimetric audit network finds discrepancies in AAA lung inhomogeneity corrections.Phys Med. 2015; 31: 435-441
- Dosimetric impact of the interplay effect during stereotactic lung radiation therapy delivery using flattening filter-free beams and volumetric modulated arc therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 86: 743-748
- Radiation therapy quality assurance in clinical trials – Global harmonisation group.Radiother Oncol. 2014; : 1-3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2014.03.023