- •IGRT and motion management improves the delivery accuracy and normal tissues sparing during lung SBRT.
- •Better treatment accuracy could mitigate toxicities and increase the patient survival.
- •Numerous motion management technologies are available for lung SBRT.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Excessive toxicity when treating central tumors in a phase II study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for medically inoperable early-stage lung cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2006; 24: 4833-4839
- Outcome in a prospective phase II trial of medically inoperable stage I non–small-cell lung cancer patients treated with stereotactic body radiotherapy.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3290-3296
- Prediction of chest wall toxicity from lung stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT).Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: 974-980
- Treatment of large stage I-II lung tumors using stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT): planning considerations and early toxicity.Radiother Oncol. 2010; 97: 431-436
- The management of respiratory motion in radiation oncology report of AAPM Task Group 76.Med Phys. 2006; 33: 3874-3900
- MRI-guided lung SBRT: present and future developments.Physica Med. 2017;
- Image-guided radiotherapy: has it influenced patient outcomes? Seminars in radiation oncology.Elsevier, 2012: 50-61
- A radiographic and tomographic imaging system integrated into a medical linear accelerator for localization of bone and soft-tissue targets.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999; 45: 773-789
- Quality assurance for image-guided radiation therapy utilizing CT-based technologies: a report of the AAPM TG-179.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 1946-1963
- Cone-beam computed tomography for on-line image guidance of lung stereotactic radiotherapy: localization, verification, and intrafraction tumor position.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 68: 243-252
- Artefacts in CBCT: a review.Dentomaxillofacial Radiol. 2014;
- Intrafraction variation of mean tumor position during image-guided hypofractionated stereotactic body radiotherapy for lung cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: 1636-1641
- Difference in performance between 3D and 4D CBCT for lung imaging: a dose and image quality analysis.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016; 17
Sonke J-J, Rossi M, Wolthaus J, van Herk M, Damen E, Belderbos J. Frameless stereotactic body radiotherapy for lung cancer using four-dimensional cone beam CT guidance. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009;74:567-74.
- Accuracy and inter-observer variability of 3D versus 4D cone-beam CT based image-guidance in SBRT for lung tumors.Radiat Oncol. 2012; 7: 1
- Temporal resolution and the evaluation of candidate algorithms for four-dimensional CT.Med Phys. 2003; 30: 640-650
- Respiration-correlated cone beam CT: obtaining a four-dimensional data set.Med Phys. 2003; 30: 1415
OBrien R, Shieh C, Kipritidis J, Keall P. TH-E-17A-05: Optimizing Four Dimensional Cone Beam Computed Tomography Projection Allocation to Respiratory Bins. Med Phys. 2014;41:573.
- Optimizing 4D cone-beam CT acquisition protocol for external beam radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 67: 1211-1219
- Four-dimensional cone beam CT with adaptive gantry rotation and adaptive data sampling.Med Phys. 2007; 34: 3520-3529
T O’Brien R, Cooper BJ, Shieh C-C, Stankovic U, Keall PJ, Sonke J-J. The first implementation of respiratory triggered 4DCBCT on a linear accelerator. Phys Med Biol 2016;61:3488.
- An investigation of 4D cone-beam CT algorithms for slowly rotating scanners.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 5044-5053
- Super-resolution imaging in a multiple layer EPID.Biomed Phys Eng Express. 2017; 3: 025004
- A piecewise-focused high DQE detector for MV imaging.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 5084-5099
- High-DQE EPIDs based on thick, segmented BGO and CsI: Tl scintillators: performance evaluation at extremely low dose.Med Phys. 2009; 36: 5707-5718
- Performance characterization of a MVCT scanner using multislice thick, segmented cadmium tungstate-photodiode detectors.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 249-257
- Joint MAP registration and high-resolution image estimation using a sequence of undersampled images.IEEE Trans Image Process. 1997; 6: 1621-1633
Bannore V. Iterative-interpolation super-resolution image reconstruction: a computationally efficient technique: Springer Science & Business Media; 2009.
Xia D, Paysan P, Zhang Z, Seghers D, Brehm M, Munro P, et al. Optimization-based Reconstruction from Megavoltage Cone-beam CT Data in Image Guided Radiation Therapy.
- Patient dose from megavoltage computed tomography imaging.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 70: 1579-1587
- Integrating respiratory gating into a megavoltage cone-beam CT system.Med Phys. 2006; 33: 2354-2361
- Observation of interfractional variations in lung tumor position using respiratory gated and ungated megavoltage cone-beam computed tomography.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007; 67: 1548-1558
- Image guided radiation therapy using ultrafast kV-MV CBCT: End-to-End test results of the finalized implementation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2014; 90: S828-S829
- Towards clinical implementation of ultrafast combined kV-MV CBCT for IGRT of lung cancer.Strahlenther Onkol. 2016; 192: 312-321
- Assessment of image quality and dose calculation accuracy on kV CBCT, MV CBCT, and MV CT images for urgent palliative radiotherapy treatments.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016; 17
- Development of a four-dimensional image-guided radiotherapy system with a gimbaled X-ray head.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: 271-278
- The CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery system: description, installation, and an initial evaluation of use and functionality.Neurosurgery. 2003; 53: 1235-1239
- Four-dimensional treatment planning and fluoroscopic real-time tumor tracking radiotherapy for moving tumor.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000; 48: 435-442
- Geometric accuracy of a novel gimbals based radiation therapy tumor tracking system.Radiother Oncol. 2011; 98: 365-372
- Real time tracking in liver SBRT: comparison of CyberKnife and Vero by planning structure-based γ-evaluation and dose-area-histograms.Phys Med Biol. 2016; 61: 1677
- Clinical outcomes of CyberKnife stereotactic body radiotherapy for peripheral stage I non-small cell lung cancer.Med Oncol. 2015; 32: 1-8
Orecchia R, Surgo A, Muto M, Ferrari A, Piperno G, Gerardi M, et al. VERO® radiotherapy for low burden cancer: 789 patients with 957 lesions. ecancermedicalscience. 2016;10.
- Clinical outcomes of cyberknife stereotactic radiosurgery for lung metastases.J Thorac Dis. 2015; 7: 407
- CyberKnife® radiosurgery for stage I lung cancer: results at 36 months.Clin Lung Cancer. 2007; 8: 488-492
- Clinical outcome of fiducial-less CyberKnife radiosurgery for stage I non-small cell lung cancer.Radiat Oncol J. 2015; 33: 89
- The first clinical implementation of electromagnetic transponder-guided MLC tracking.Med Phys. 2014; 41
- The first patient treatment of electromagnetic-guided real time adaptive radiotherapy using MLC tracking for lung SABR.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 121: 19-25
- MLC tracking for Elekta VMAT: a modelling study.Phys Med Biol. 2011; 56: 7541
- Dynamic tumor tracking using the Elekta Agility MLC.Med Phys. 2014; 41
- Real-time tumor tracking: automatic compensation of target motion using the Siemens 160 MLC.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 753-761
- Electromagnetic real-time tumor position monitoring and dynamic multileaf collimator tracking using a Siemens 160 MLC: geometric and dosimetric accuracy of an integrated system.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 579-587
- Real-time intra-fraction-motion tracking using the treatment couch: a feasibility study.Phys Med Biol. 2005; 50: 4021
- Electromagnetic guided couch and multileaf collimator tracking on a TrueBeam accelerator.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 2387-2398
- Development and evaluation of a prototype tracking system using the treatment couch.Med Phys. 2014; 41
- An experimentally validated couch and MLC tracking simulator used to investigate hybrid couch-MLC tracking.Med Phys. 2017;
- CyberKnife stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for lung tumors.Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2010; 9: 589-596
- Stereotactic radiotherapy (SABR) for the treatment of primary non-small cell lung cancer; systematic review and comparison with a surgical cohort.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 109: 1-7
- Correlation and prediction uncertainties in the cyberknife synchrony respiratory tracking system.Med Phys. 2011; 38: 4036-4044
- Evaluation of an infrared camera and X-ray system using implanted fiducials in patients with lung tumors for gated radiation therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 66: 568-575
- Image guided respiratory gated hypofractionated Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (H-SBRT) for liver and lung tumors: initial experience.Acta Oncol. 2006; 45: 881-889
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for lung tumors: preliminary report of a phase I trial.Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 75: 1097-1101
- Electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy-guided fiducial markers for lung stereotactic body radiation therapy: analysis of safety, feasibility, and interfraction stability.J Bronchol Interventional Pulmonol. 2014; 21: 123-130
- Fiducial marker placement using endobronchial ultrasound and navigational bronchoscopy for stereotactic radiosurgery: an alternative strategy.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010; 89: 368-374
- Migration of implanted markers for image-guided lung tumor stereotactic ablative radiotherapy.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2013; 14
- MO-FG-BRA-06: electromagnetic beacon insertion in lung cancer patients and resultant surrogacy errors for dynamic MLC tumour tracking.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 3710-3711
- Quantification of planning target volume margin when using a robotic radiosurgery system to treat lung tumors with spine tracking.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2015; 5: e337-e343
- Comparison of spine, carina, and tumor as registration landmarks for volumetric image-guided lung radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 73: 1404-1413
- Volumetric image guidance using carina vs spine as registration landmarks for conventionally fractionated lung radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: 1086-1092
Fu D, Kahn R, Wang B, Wang H, Mu Z, Park J, et al. Xsight lung tracking system: a fiducial-less method for respiratory motion tracking. Treating Tumors that Move with Respiration: Springer; 2007. p. 265-82.
- Markerless tumor tracking using short kilovoltage imaging arcs for lung image-guided radiotherapy.Phys Med Biol. 2015; 60: 9437
- Markerless EPID image guided dynamic multi-leaf collimator tracking for lung tumors.Phys Med Biol. 2013; 58: 4195
Mijnheer B, Olaciregui-Ruiz I, Rozendaal R, Spreeuw H, van Herk M, Mans A. Current status of 3D EPID-based in vivo dosimetry in The Netherlands Cancer Institute. Journal of Physics: Conference Series: IOP Publishing; 2015. p. 012014.
- First experience with real-time EPID-based delivery verification during IMRT and VMAT sessions.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 516-522
- Real-time tumor tracking in the lung using an electromagnetic tracking system.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 86: 477-483
- Accuracy of real-time couch tracking during 3-dimensional conformal radiation therapy, intensity modulated radiation therapy, and volumetric modulated arc therapy for prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: 237-242
- Toward submillimeter accuracy in the management of intrafraction motion: the integration of real-time internal position monitoring and multileaf collimator target tracking.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 74: 575-582
- SU-G-JeP1-05: Clinical Impact of MLC Tracking for Lung SABR.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 3648-3649
Colvill E, Poulsen PR, Booth J, O’brien R, Ng J, Keall P. DMLC tracking and gating can improve dose coverage for prostate VMAT. Med Phys. 2014;41.
- Kernel density estimation-based real-time prediction for respiratory motion.Phys Med Biol. 2010; 55: 1311
- Respiratory gating techniques for optimization of lung cancer radiotherapy.J Thorac Oncol. 2011; 6: 2058-2068
- Continuous localization technologies for radiotherapy delivery: report of the American Society for Radiation Oncology Emerging Technology Committee.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2012; 2: 145-150
- Dosimetric evaluation of lung tumor immobilization using breath hold at deep inspiration.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001; 50: 1091-1098
- Continuous positive airway pressure for motion management in stereotactic body radiation therapy to the lung: a controlled pilot study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 93: 391-399
T Eade JB, P Keall. Lung Cancer Radiotherapy Using Realtime Dynamic Multileaf Collimator (MLC) Adaptation And Radiofrequency Tracking (LIGHTSABR). ClinicalTrials.gov2015.
- Patterns-of-care for thoracic stereotactic body radiotherapy among practicing radiation oncologists in the United States.J Thorac Oncol. 2013; 8: 202-207
- Four-dimensional computed tomography scan analysis of tumor and organ motion at varying levels of abdominal compression during stereotactic treatment of lung and liver.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 70: 1571-1578
- Clinical and dosimetric predictors of radiation pneumonitis in a large series of patients treated with stereotactic body radiation therapy to the lung.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: 190-195
- Pancreatic tumor motion reduction by use of a custom abdominal corset.Phys Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2017; 2: 7-10
- Stereotactic body radiotherapy for stage I lung cancer and small lung metastasis: evaluation of an immobilization system for suppression of respiratory tumor movement and preliminary results.Radiat Oncol. 2009; 4: 15
- A comparison of two immobilization systems for stereotactic body radiation therapy of lung tumors.Radiother Oncol. 2010; 95: 103-108
- Recursive partitioning analysis index is predictive for overall survival in patients undergoing spine stereotactic body radiation therapy for spinal metastases.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: 1738-1743
- The effectiveness of an immobilization device in conformal radiotherapy for lung tumor: reduction of respiratory tumor movement and evaluation of the daily setup accuracy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001; 50: 889-898
- Respiration-correlated image guidance is the most important radiotherapy motion management strategy for most lung cancer patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: 1338-1343
- Potential of image-guidance, gating and real-time tracking to improve accuracy in pulmonary stereotactic body radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2009; 91: 288-295
- Reduction of respiratory liver tumor motion by abdominal compression in stereotactic body frame, analyzed by tracking fiducial markers implanted in liver.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 71: 907-915
- Is abdominal compression useful in lung stereotactic body radiation therapy? A 4DCT and dosimetric lobe-dependent study.Physica Med. 2013; 29: 333-340
- A comparison of the respiratory signals acquired by different respiratory monitoring systems used in respiratory gated radiotherapy.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 6178-6186
- Comparison of helical, maximum intensity projection (MIP), and averaged intensity (AI) 4D CT imaging for stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) planning in lung cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2006; 81: 264-268
- Dosimetry of a linear accelerator under respiratory gating.Zeitschrift für Medizinische Physik. 2009; 19: 136-141
- Technical and dosimetric aspects of respiratory gating using a pressure-sensor motion monitoring system.Med Phys. 2006; 33: 145-154
- Breathing guidance in radiation oncology and radiology: a systematic review of patient and healthy volunteer studies.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 5490-5509