- •Test method to assess how CT parameters affect image quality and Hounsfield units.
- •CNR and HCSR varied most with reconstruction algorithm, reconstruction FOV and mAs.
- •Hounsfield units changed with acquisition FOV and reconstruction algorithm selected.
- •The results will enable optimisation of CT protocols used for radiotherapy planning.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Variations in the contouring of organs at risk: test case from a patient with oropharyngeal cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 82: 368-378
- Variability in target volume delineation on CT scans of the breast.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001; 50: 1366-1372
- Variability of target and normal structure delineation for breast cancer radiotherapy: an RTOG Multi-Institutional and Multiobserver Study.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 73: 944-951
- CT-based delineation of organs at risk in the head and neck region: DAHANCA, EORTC, GORTEC, HKNPCSG, NCIC CTG, NCRI, NRG Oncology and TROG consensus guidelines.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 117: 83-90
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine Radiation Therapy Committee Task Group 53: quality assurance for clinical radiotherapy treatment planning.Med Phys. 1998; 25: 1773-1829
Ionising Radiation (Medical Exposure) Regulations. 2000.
- A quality assurance phantom for three-dimensional radiation treatment planning.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999; 955–66
- Dosimetric impact of computed tomography calibration on a commercial treatment planning system for external beam radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 1998; 335–8
European guidelines on quality criteria for computed tomography EUR 16262. Luxemburg: European Commission; 1999.
American Association of Physicists in Medicine. The alliance for quality computed tomography. CT protocols.
- Quality assurance for computed-tomography simulators and the computed-tomography-simulation process: report of the AAPM Radiation Therapy Committee Task Group No. 66.Med Phys. 2003; 30: 2762-2792
ESTRO. Quality Assurance of treatment planning systems: Practical examples for non-IMRT photon beams. ESTRO booklet no 72004.
IAEA. IAEA Human Health Series No 19, Quality Assurance for Computed Tomography: Diagnostic and Therapy Applications. 2012.
- IPEM report 88 – physical aspects of quality control in radiotherapy.Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine, York, UK1999
- Quality assurance for image-guided radiation therapy utilizing CT-based technologies: a report of the AAPM TG-179.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 1946-1963
- Can CT scan protocols used for radiotherapy treatment planning be adjusted to optimize image quality and patient dose? A systematic review.Br J Radiol. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20160406
- Commissioning a new CT simulator I: CT simulator hardware.J Radiother Pract. 2007; : 6
- Comparative evaluation of image quality from three CT simulation scanners.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2004; 5: 55-70
- Implementation and characterization of a 320-slice volumetric CT scanner for simulation in radiation oncology.Med Phys. 2009; 36: 5120
Purchasing and Supply Agency, ImPACT. Report 05071 Siemens Somatom Sensation Open CT scanner technical evaluation. 2005.
ImPACT. MHRA 04045-Toshiba Aquillion 16 CT scanner Technical Evaluation. 2004.
- Hounsfield units variations: impact on CT-density based conversion tables and their effects on dose distribution.Strahlenther Onkol. 2014; 190: 88-93
Corporation TMS. Operation manual for Toshiba scanner Aquilion TSX 201A. 2008.
- CT-ED conversion on a GE Lightspeed-RT scanner: influence of scanner settings.Austral Phys Eng Sci Med. 2008; 31: 154-159
- Image quality and stability of image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT) devices: a comparative study.Radiother Oncol. 2009; 93: 1-7
Edyvean S, Lewis M, Keat N, Jones A. IPEM Report no. 32. Measurement of the performance characteristics of diagnostic X-ray systems used in medicine. Part III Computed tomography X-ray scanners. York, UK.: Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine; 2003.
- Computed tomography as a source of electron density information for radiation treatment planning.Strahlenther Onkol. 2010; 186: 327-333
- Principles of CT: radiation dose and image quality.J Nucl Med Technol. 2007; 35: 213-225
- Cone beam computerized tomography: the effect of calibration of the Hounsfield unit number to electron density on dose calculation accuracy for adaptive radiation therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2009; 54: N329-N346
- Dose calculation accuracy using cone-beam CT (CBCT) for pelvic adaptive radiotherapy.Phys Med Biol. 2009; 54: 6239-6250
- Applications of simulator CT number for photon dose calculations during radiotherapy treatment planning.Radiother Oncol. 2000; 55: 65-73