- •The study was carried out as part of International Atomic Energy Agency regional.
- •The highest median organ doses values for ≥4 procedures was 23.5 mGy.
- •The highest median effective dose values for ≥4 procedures was 8.7 mSv.
- •These values may be of interest for UNSCEAR and further epidemiological studies.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Radiation safety in children with congenital and acquired heart disease: a scientific position statement on multimodality dose optimization from the image gently alliance.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017; 10: 797-818
United Nations Scientific Committee on Effects of Atomic Radiations Source and Effects of Ionizing Radiation (UNSCEAR). Report on “Sources, effects and risks of ionizing radiation”. Volume II, Annex B – Effects of radiation exposure of children 2013.
- Patient radiation exposure in a modern, large-volume, pediatric cardiac catheterization laboratory.Pediatr Cardiol. 2014; 35: 870-878
- Cumulative exposure to medical radiation for children requiring surgery for congenital heart disease.J Pediatr. 2014; 164: 789-794
- Cumulative patient effective dose and acute radiation-induced chromosomal DNA damage in children with congenital heart.Heart. 2010; 96: 269-274
Committee to Assess Health Risks from Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation; Nuclear and Radiation Studies Board. Division on Earth and Life Studies, National Research Council of the National Academies. Health Risks From Exposure to Low Levels of Ionizing Radiation: BEIR VII Phase 2. Washington, DC: National Academies Press 2006.
United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation. Effects of Ionizing Radiation (UNSCEAR). Report to the general assembly of the United Nations with scientific. Scientific Annexes Volume I (2006).
International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP). Recommendations of the international commission on radiological protection. Publication 103. Ann ICRP 2007;37:1–332.
- Radiation exposure from CT scans in childhood and subsequent risk of leukaemia and brain tumours: a retrospective cohort study.Lancet. 2012; 380: 499-505
- Cancer risk in 680 000 people exposed to computed tomography scans in childhood or adolescence: data linkage study of 11 million Australians.BMJ. 2013; 346f2360
- The use of computed tomography in pediatrics and the associated radiation exposure and estimated cancer risk.JAMA Pediatrics. 2013; 167: 700-707
- Radiation epidemiology and recent paediatric computed tomography studies.Ann ICRP. 2015; 44: 236-248
- Patient radiation doses in paediatric interventional cardiology procedures: a review.J Radiol Prot. 2016; 36: 131-144
- Organ and effective doses from paediatric interventional cardiology procedures in Chile.Phys Med. 2017; 40: 95-103
- Cardiac computed tomography and conventional angiography in the diagnosis of congenital cardiac disease in children: recent trends and radiation doses.Cardiol Young. 2011; 21: 616-622
- Effective radiation dose in computed tomographic angiography of the chest and diagnostic cardiac catheterization in pediatric patients.Pediatr Cardiol. 2012; 34: 518-524
- Local reference levels and organ doses from pediatric cardiac interventional procedures.Pediatr Cardiol. 2014; 35: 1037-1045
- Radiation doses from fluoroscopically guided cardiac catheterization procedures in children and young adults in the United Kingdom: a multicentre study.Br J Radiol. 2015; 88: 20140852
- Radiation dose and mortality risk to children undergoing therapeutic interventional cardiology.Acta Radiol. 2015; 56: 867-872
- Estimation of organ and effective doses for neonate and infant diagnostic cardiac catheterizations.Am. J Roentgenol. 2015; 205: 599-603
- Estimation of radiation dose and risk to children undergoing cardiac catheterization for the treatment of a congenital heart disease using Monte Carlo simulations.Pediatr Radiol. 2013; 43: 339-346
- Radiation dose to the heart in paediatric interventional cardiology.J Radiol Prot. 2015; 35: 257-264
Instituto nacional de estadística chile, http://www.ine.cl/estadisticas/demograficas-y-vitales. [last accessed 10.18].
International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements (ICRU). Patient dosimetry for X-rays used in medical imaging. ICRU report 74. J ICRU 2005;5:i, iv–vi.
- The SENTINEL Project.Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2008; 129: 3-5
- Radiation dose and image quality for pediatric interventional cardiology.Phys Med Biol. 2008; 53: 4049-4062
- Radiation dose and image quality for paediatric interventional cardiology systems. A national survey in Chile.Radiat Prot osimetry. 2011; 147: 429-438
- Entrance surface air kerma in X-ray systems for paediatric interventionalcardiology: a national survey.Radiat Prot Dosimetry. 2015; 165: 107-110
- Checklist for reporting of descriptive observational studies.MINCIR Initiative Int J Morphol. 2013; 31: 115-120
International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). Medical electrical equipment – Part 2-43: Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of X-ray equipment for interventional procedures. IEC 60601-2-43 ed 2.0. (Geneva, Switzerland, 2010).
- Establishing the European diagnostic reference levels for interventional cardiology.Phys Med. 2018; 54: 42-48
Tapiovaara M, Siiskonen T. PCXMC: A Monte Carlo program for calculating patient doses in medical X-ray examinations (2nd ed). Finnish Centre for Radiation and Nuclear Safety, Report STUK-A231. (Helsinki, Finland, 2008).
<http://www.stuk.fi/palvelut/pcxmc-a-monte-carlo-program-for-calculatingpatient- doses-in-medical-x-ray-examinations> [last accessed 7.18].
<https://www.ibm.com/cl-es/marketplace/spss-statistics> [last accessed 9.18].
- Radiation protection in pediatric interventional cardiology: an IAEA PILOT program in Latin America.Health Phys. 2011; 101: 233-237
- Pilot program on patient dosimetry in pediatric interventional cardiology in Chile.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 2424-2430
- Local patient dose diagnostic reference levels in pediatric interventional cardiology in Chile using age bands and patient weight values.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 615-622
- Cumulative radiation exposure in pediatric patients with congenital heart disease.Pediatr Cardiol. 2015; 36: 289-294
- Towards the definition of Institutional diagnostic reference levels in paediatric interventional cardiology procedures in Greece.Phys Med. 2018; 46: 52-58
International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP). Statement on Tissue Reactions/Early and Late Effects of Radiation in Normal Tissues and Organs–Threshold Doses for Tissue Reactions in a Radiation Protection Context. ICRP Publication 118. Ann ICRP 2012; 41.