- •Clusters of microcalcifications can be considered as early signs of breast cancer.
- •A three phases approach is proposed: preprocessing-detection-clustering.
- •Application of circular Hough Transform for microcalcification detection.
- •The proposed method reached a sensitivity of 91.78
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
National Cancer Institute. Cancer stat facts – female breast cancer. URL:https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/breast.html.
- Global cancer statistics 2018: Globocan estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA: Cancer J. 2018; 68: 394-424
- Cancer treatment and survivorship statistics.CA: Cancer J. 2016; 66: 271-289
- The emerging breast cancer epidemic: early diagnosis and treatment.Breast Cancer Res. 2010; 12: S10
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, part i: National cancer statistics.Cancer. 2018; 124: 2785-2800
Breast cancer surveillance consortium. sensitivity, specificity, and false negative rate for 1,682,504 screening mammography examinations from 2007–2013. Based on bcsc data through 2013.https://www.bcsc-research.org/statistics/screening-performance-benchmarks/screening-sens-spec-false-negative.html; 2013.
- Radiology review manual.Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011
- The relationship of mammographic density and age: implications for breast cancer screening.Am J Roentgenol. 2012; 198: W292-W295
- Breast tissue composition and susceptibility to breast cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010; 102: 1224-1237
- If you don’t find it often, you often don’t find it: Why some cancers are missed in breast cancer screening.PLoS One. 2013; 8e64366
- The importance of early detection of calcifications associated with breast cancer in screening.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 167: 451-458
- The efficacy of using computer-aided detection (cad) for detection of breast cancer in mammography screening: a systematic review.Acta Radiol. 2019; 60: 13-18
Ibm. Dream challenge results: Can machine learning help improve accuracy in breast cancer screening? URL:https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2017/06/dream-challenge-results/; 2017.
- Improving the accuracy in detection of clustered microcalcifications with a context-sensitive classification model.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 159-170
- A novel cascade classifier for automatic microcalcification detection.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0143725
- A two-stage method for microcalcification cluster segmentation in mammography by deformable models.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 5848-5861
- A hybrid image filtering method for computer-aided detection of microcalcification clusters in mammograms.J Med Eng. 2013;
- Fuzzy technique for microcalcifications clustering in digital mammograms.BMC Med Imag. 2014; 14: 23
- Automatic microcalcification and cluster detection for digital and digitised mammograms.Knowl-Based Syst. 2012; 28: 68-75
- Independent component analysis to detect clustered microcalcification breast cancers.Scientific World J. 2012;
Wang J, Nishikawa R, Yang Y. Global detection approach for clustered microcalcifications in mammograms using a deep learning network. J Med Imag 4 (2).
- Discovering mammography-based machine learning classifiers for breast cancer diagnosis.J Med Syst. 2012; 36: 2259-2269
- Benchmarking datasets for breast cancer computer-aided diagnosis (CADx).in: Ruiz-Shulcloper J. Sanniti di Baja G. Progress in pattern recognition, image analysis, computer vision, and applications. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin, Heidelberg2013: 326-333
- Hough transform for clustered microcalcifications detection in full-field digital mammograms.in: Applications of digital image processing XL, vol. 10396. International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2017: 1039616
- 2013 ACR BI-RADS atlas: breast imaging reporting and data system.American College of Radiology, 2014
- Biomedical image processing.Computer. 1983; 16: 22-34
- Digital image processing.3rd ed. Prentice-Hall Inc, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA2006
- Machine analysis of bubble chamber pictures.Conf Proc. 1959; 590914: 554-558
- On the Hough technique for curve detection.IEEE Trans Comput. 1978; 27: 923-926
- Circular hough transform.Aalborg University, Vision, Graphics, and Interactive Systems, 2007
- Breast microcalcifications: the lesions in anatomical pathology.Diagnostic Interven Imag. 2014; 95: 141-152
- Microcalcification segmentation from mammograms: a morphological approach.J Digital Imag. 2017; 30: 172-184https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-016-9923-8
- Breast calcifications: mammographic evaluation.Radiology. 1986; 160: 289-293
- Characterizing the clustered microcalcifications on mammograms to predict the pathological classification and grading: a mathematical modeling approach.J Digital Imag. 2011; 24: 764
- Classification.2nd ed.Chapman & Hall/CRC Monographs on Statistics & Applied Probability. CRC Press, 1999
- The digital database for screening mammography.in: Yaffe M. Proceedings of the fifth international workshop on digital mammography. Medical Physics Publishing, 2001: 212-218
Wang J, Yang X, Cai H, Tan W, Jin C, Li L. Discrimination of breast cancer with microcalcifications on mammography by deep learning. Scientific Rep 6-2016.
- Large scale deep learning for computer aided detection of mammographic lesions.Med Image Anal. 2017; 35: 303-312
- Integration of 3d digital mammography with tomosynthesis for population breast-cancer screening (storm): a prospective comparison study.Lancet Oncol. 2013; 14: 583-589
- Comparison of tomosynthesis plus digital mammography and digital mammography alone for breast cancer screening.Radiology. 2013; 269: 694-700
- Prospective trial comparing full-field digital mammography (ffdm) versus combined ffdm and tomosynthesis in a population-based screening programme using independent double reading with arbitration.Eur Radiol. 2013; 23: 2061-2071
- Detection and classification of calcifications on digital breast tomosynthesis and 2d digital mammography: a comparison.Am J Roentgenol. 2011; 196: 320-324
- Calcifications in the breast and digital breast tomosynthesis.Breast J. 2011; 17: 638-644
- Characterisation of microcalcification clusters on 2d digital mammography (ffdm) and digital breast tomosynthesis (dbt): does dbt underestimate microcalcification clusters? results of a multicentre study.Eur Radiol. 2015; 25: 9-14