- •We present a CS-accelerated radial MS-CAIPIRINHA technique for first-pass myocardial MRI on integrated PET/MR systems.
- •The new technique allows MRI perfusion assessment with an extended anatomical coverage (six slices per RR interval).
- •Joint diagnosis with the simultaneously acquired three-dimensional PET benefits from an adequate coverage on the MRI-side.
Simultaneous acquisition of myocardial first-pass perfusion MRI and 18F-FDG PET viability imaging on integrated whole-body PET/MR hybrid systems synergistically delivers both functional and metabolic information on the tissue state. While PET viability scans are inherently three-dimensional, conventional MR myocardial perfusion imaging is typically performed using only three short-axis slices with a temporal resolution of one RR-interval. To improve the integrated diagnostics, an acquisition and image reconstruction method based on “Multi-Slice Controlled Aliasing In Parallel Imaging Results IN Higher Acceleration (MS-CAIPIRINHA)” was developed extending anatomical coverage for MR perfusion imaging to six short-axis slices per RR-interval.
An ECG-gated radial TurboFLASH MR pulse sequence with dual band excitation was implemented on an integrated whole-body PET/MR system and a model-based reconstruction technique was developed to fully reconstruct the undersampled CAIPIRINHA acquisitions. An 18F-FDG viability PET scan was performed simultaneously to the MR protocol, additionally complemented by a late enhancement MRI acquisition (LGE).
Results and conclusion
The developed imaging technique was tested in five patients with known collateralized coronary total occlusions, resulting in improved characterization of perfusion across areas of decreased tissue viability as indicated by the simultaneously determined 18F-FDG uptake. While conventional MR perfusion with only three slice positions was occasionally missing substantial parts of the viable area, the new approach achieved LV coverage only slightly inferior to LGE imaging and therefore better comparable to PET results. The quality of first-pass enhancement curves was comparable between conventional and radial MS-CAIPIRINHA-based acquisitions.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Design and performance evaluation of a whole-body Ingenuity TF PET-MRI system.Phys Med Biol. 2011; 56: 3091-3106
- Performance measurements of the Siemens mMR integrated whole-body PET/MR scanner.J Nucl Med. 2011; 52: 1914-1922
- PET/MR hybrid imaging.Z Med Phys. 2017; 27: 269-270
- Integrated PET/MR.J Magn Reson Imag. 2014; 39: 243-258
- Combined PET/MRI: from Status Quo to Status Go. Summary Report of the Fifth International Workshop on PET/MR Imaging; February 15–19, 2016; Tubingen, Germany.Mole Imag Biol. 2016; 18: 637-650
- PET/MRI of the heart.Semin Nucl Med. 2015; 45: 234-247
- MR/PET imaging of the cardiovascular system.JACC Cardiovasc Imag. 2017; 10: 1165-1179
- Myocardial perfusion reserve: assessment with multisection, quantitative, first-pass MR imaging.Radiology. 1997; 204: 373-384
- First-pass cardiac perfusion: evaluation with ultrafast MR imaging.Radiology. 1990; 174: 757-762
- MR myocardial perfusion imaging.Radiology. 2013; 266: 701-715
- SENSE: sensitivity encoding for fast MRI.Magn Reson Med. 1999; 42: 952-962
- Generalized autocalibrating partially parallel acquisitions (GRAPPA).Magn Reson Med. 2002; 47: 1202-1210
- Auto-SENSE perfusion imaging of the whole human heart.J Magn Reson Imag. 2003; 18: 702-708
- Extended coverage first-pass perfusion imaging using slice-interleaved TSENSE.Magn Reson Med. 2004; 51: 200-204
- Controlled aliasing in parallel imaging results in higher acceleration (CAIPIRINHA) for multi-slice imaging.Magn Reson Med. 2005; 53: 684-691
- CAIPIRINHA accelerated SSFP imaging.Magn Resonance Med. 2011; 65: 157-164
- Sparse MRI: the application of compressed sensing for rapid MR imaging.Magn Reson Med. 2007; 58: 1182-1195
- High resolution myocardial first-pass perfusion imaging with extended anatomic coverage.J Magn Reson Imag. 2014; 39: 1575-1587
- Combination of compressed sensing and parallel imaging for highly accelerated first-pass cardiac perfusion MRI.Magn Reson Med. 2010; 64: 767-776
- Acquisition and reconstruction of undersampled radial data for myocardial perfusion magnetic resonance imaging.J Magn Reson Imag. 2009; 29: 466-473
- Radial simultaneous multi-slice CAIPI for ungated myocardial perfusion.Magn Reson Imag. 2016; 34: 1329-1336
- Improvements in multislice parallel imaging using radial CAIPIRINHA.Magn Reson Med. 2011; 65: 1630-1637
- Controlled aliasing in volumetric parallel imaging (2D CAIPIRINHA).Magn Reson Med. 2006; 55: 549-556
- General formulation for quantitative G-factor calculation in GRAPPA reconstructions.Magn Reson Med. 2009; 62: 739-746
- Myocardial Perfusion using radial MS-CAIPIRINHA.Ann Meet ISMRM. 2016; : 2607
- Advances in sensitivity encoding with arbitrary k-space trajectories.Magn Reson Med. 2001; 46: 638-651
- Restating MS-CAIPIRINHA as an in-plane acceleration problem: an efficient method for integrating high coverage cardiac perfusion MRI into clinical workflow.Ann Meet ISMRM. 2015; : 2686
- An optimal radial profile order based on the Golden Ratio for time-resolved MRI.IEEE Trans Med Imag. 2007; 26: 68-76
- Dynamic autocalibrated parallel imaging using temporal GRAPPA (TGRAPPA).Magn Resonance Med. 2005; 53: 981-985
- Measurement of extracellular volume and transit time heterogeneity using contrast-enhanced myocardial perfusion MRI in patients after acute myocardial infarction.Magn Reson Med. 2017; 77: 2320-2330
- Tissue classification as a potential approach for attenuation correction in whole-body PET/MRI: evaluation with PET/CT data.J Nucl Med. 2009; 50: 520-526
- Completion of a truncated attenuation image from the attenuated PET emission data.IEEE Trans Med Imag. 2013; 32: 237-246
- Prospective evaluation of 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose uptake in postischemic myocardium by simultaneous positron emission tomography/magnetic resonance imaging as a prognostic marker of functional outcome.Circ Cardiovasc Imag. 2016; 9e004316
- Low-rank plus sparse matrix decomposition for accelerated dynamic MRI with separation of background and dynamic components.Magn Reson Med. 2015; 73: 1125-1136
- Quantification of myocardial blood flow using non-electrocardiogram-triggered MRI with three-slice coverage.Magn Reson Med. 2016; 75: 2112-2120
- Joint MR-PET reconstruction using a multi-channel image regularizer.IEEE Trans Med Imag. 2017; 36: 1-16
- Impact of motion and partial volume effects correction on PET myocardial perfusion imaging using simultaneous PET-MR.Phys Med Biol. 2017; 62: 326-343
Wech T, Kunze KP, Rischpler C, Stäb D, Speier P, Köstler H. et al. In: Ann Meet ISMRM; 2018, 3681.
Published online: July 16, 2019
Accepted: June 17, 2019
Received in revised form: June 5, 2019
Received: March 29, 2019
© 2019 Associazione Italiana di Fisica Medica. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.