- •We investigated the current status of radiotherapy in Japan.
- •VMAT was used at a level comparable to that of static gantry IMRT.
- •Target-based registration using integrated CT was the modality most frequently used.
- •Breath holding was the most commonly used technique.
Over the last several decades, there have been great advances in radiotherapy with the development of new technologies and modalities, and radiotherapy trends have changed rapidly. To comprehend the current state of radiotherapy in Japan, the QA/QC 2016–2017 Committee of the Japan Society of Medical Physics set up an intensity-modulated radiotherapy/image-guided radiotherapy (IMRT/IGRT) working group and performed a Web-based survey to show the current status of radiotherapy in Japan. The Web-based questionnaire, developed using Google Forms, contained 42 items: 7 on stereotactic radiotherapy implementation, 4 on IMRT, 24 on IGRT, and 7 on respiratory motion management. The survey was conducted from 17 January to 9 March of 2018; in total, 335 institutions provided data. The results show that volumetric modulated arc therapy was used at a level comparable to that of static gantry IMRT. For IGRT, machine-integrated computed tomography (CT), including kilovoltage or megavoltage cone-beam CT and megavoltage CT, was used at many institutions in conjunction with target-based image registration. For respiratory motion management, breath holding was the most commonly used technique. Our hope is that multi-institutional surveys such as this one will be conducted periodically to elucidate the current status of radiotherapy and emerging developments in this field. If our questionnaire was distributed worldwide, in the same format, then global trends in radiotherapy could be better understood.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Stereotactic radiosurgery for patients with multiple brain metastases (JLGK0901): a multi-institutional prospective observational study.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 387-395https://doi.org/10.1016/s1470-2045(14)70061-0
- Systemic review of the patterns of failure following stereotactic body radiation therapy in early-stage non-small-cell lung cancer: clinical implications.Radiother Oncol. 2010; 94: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2009.12.008
- Phase I dose-escalation study of stereotactic body radiation therapy for low- and intermediate-risk prostate cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 2020-2026https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2010.31.4377
- Acute toxicity after image-guided intensity modulated radiation therapy compared to 3D conformal radiation therapy in prostate cancer patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 737-744https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.12.017
- Ten-year outcomes of moderately hypofractionated (70 Gy in 28 fractions) intensity modulated radiotherapy for localized prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2019.01.091
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy: IMRT in a single gantry arc.Med Phys. 2008; 35: 310-317https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2818738
- Rapid delivery of stereotactic radiotherapy for peripheral lung tumors using volumetric intensity-modulated arcs.Radiother Oncol. 2009; 93: 122-124https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2009.05.020
- Improved clinical outcomes with high-dose image guided radiotherapy compared with non-IGRT for the treatment of clinically localized prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 84: 125-129https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2011.11.047
- Daily versus weekly prostate cancer image-guided radiotherapy: phase 3 multicenter randomized trial.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2018.07.2006
- Late toxicity and biochemical control in 554 prostate cancer patients treated with and without dose escalated image guided radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 107: 140-146https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2013.04.007
- Comparison of different strategies to use four-dimensional computed tomography in treatment planning for lung cancer patients.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008; 70: 1229-1238https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2007.11.042
- Evaluation of potential internal target volume of liver tumors using cine-MRI.Med Phys. 2014; 41111704https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4896821
- Benefit of respiration-gated stereotactic radiotherapy for stage I lung cancer: an analysis of 4DCT datasets.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2005; 62: 554-560https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2005.01.032
- Clinical accuracy of the respiratory tumor tracking system of the cyberknife: assessment by analysis of log files.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 74: 297-303https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.12.041
- Deep inspiration breath-hold technique for lung tumors: the potential value of target immobilization and reduced lung density in dose escalation.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1999; 45: 603-611
- A simple respiratory indicator for irradiation during voluntary breath holding: a one-touch device without electronic materials.Radiology. 2010; 255: 917-923https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.10090890
- A survey of radiation therapy utilization in Korea from 2010 to 2016: focusing on use of intensity-modulated radiation therapy.J Korean Med Sci. 2018; 33e67https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2018.33.e67
- Survey of image-guided radiotherapy use in Australia.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2017; 61: 394-401https://doi.org/10.1111/1754-9485.12556
- Surveying trends in radiation oncology medical physics in the Asia Pacific Region.Phys Med. 2016; 32: 883-888https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2016.06.001
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Report of 401th Meeting, 2017. https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/shingi2/0000212500_00011.html (accessed 06.03.19).
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Survey in 2017, 2017. https://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/saikin/hw/iryosd/17/index.html (accessed 06.03.19).
- A national survey of the availability of intensity-modulated radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery in Canada.Radiat Oncol. 2012; 7: 18https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717x-7-18
- Survey of the availability and use of advanced radiotherapy technology in the UK.Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2010; 22: 636-642https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clon.2010.06.014
- National survey on image-guided radiotherapy practice in New Zealand.J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol. 2018; 62: 262-269https://doi.org/10.1111/1754-9485.12682
- The use of IMRT in Germany.Strahlenther Onkol. 2015; 191: 821-826https://doi.org/10.1007/s00066-015-0832-4
- An experimental investigation on intra-fractional organ motion effects in lung IMRT treatments.Phys Med Biol. 2003; 48: 1773-1784
- Experimentally studied dynamic dose interplay does not meaningfully affect target dose in VMAT SBRT lung treatments.Med Phys. 2013; 40091710https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4818255
- Dosimetric impact of breathing motion in lung stereotactic body radiotherapy treatment using intensity modulated radiotherapy and volumetric modulated arc therapy [corrected].Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012; 83: e251-e256https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2011.12.001
- Dosimetric impact of interplay effect on RapidArc lung stereotactic treatment delivery.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 79: 305-311https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.02.059
- A survey of image-guided radiation therapy use in the United States.Cancer. 2010; 116: 3953-3960https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25129
- Image guided radiation therapy (IGRT) practice patterns and IGRT's impact on workflow and treatment planning: results from a national survey of American Society for Radiation Oncology members.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 94: 850-857https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2015.09.035
- Intermediate-risk prostate cancer patients treated with androgen deprivation therapy and a hypofractionated radiation regimen with or without image guided radiotherapy.Radiat Oncol. 2013; 8: 137https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717x-8-137
- Improvement in toxicity in high risk prostate cancer patients treated with image-guided intensity-modulated radiotherapy compared to 3D conformal radiotherapy without daily image guidance.Radiat Oncol. 2014; 9: 44https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-717x-9-44
- Prostate cancer, version 2.2019.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2019; 17: 479-505https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2019.0023
- Surveillance on interfacility differences in dose-prescription policy of intensity-modulated radiation therapy plans for prostate cancer.J Radiat Res. 2012; 53: 608-614https://doi.org/10.1093/jrr/rrs016
- Editorial: the role of medical physics in lung SBRT.Phys Med. 2018; 45: 205-206https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2018.01.001
- IGRT and motion management during lung SBRT delivery.Phys Med. 2017; 44: 113-122https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2017.06.006
- Guidelines for respiratory motion management in radiation therapy.J Radiat Res. 2013; 54: 561-568https://doi.org/10.1093/jrr/rrs122
- Deep inspiration breath hold-based radiation therapy: a clinical review.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 94: 478-492https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2015.11.049
- Flattening-filter-free intensity modulated breath-hold image-guided SABR (Stereotactic ABlative Radiotherapy) can be applied in a 15-min treatment slot.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 109: 505-509https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2013.09.014
Published online: July 22, 2019
Accepted: July 14, 2019
Received in revised form: July 4, 2019
Received: March 13, 2019
© 2019 Associazione Italiana di Fisica Medica. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.