- •The novel sparse proportional re-scanning method reduces the treatment time.
- •The advantage is quantified using Eclipse treatment plans of 54 proton fields.
- •It is proven that the time “reduction factor” depends only on the number N of re-scannings.
- •The reduction factor does not depend on the shape and volume of the target, the numbers of layers or on the spot grid.
- •The same reduction factors apply also to carbon ion treatments.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Magnetic scanning system for heavy ion therapy.Nucl Inst Methods Phys Res A. 1993; https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-9002(93)91335-K
- The 200-Mev proton therapy project at the Paul Scherrer Institute: conceptual design and practical realization.Med Phys. 1995; https://doi.org/10.1118/1.597522
- Foundation of an analytical proton beamlet model for inclusion in a general proton dose calculation system.Radiat Phys Chem. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2010.10.006
- Performance of the HIMAC beam control system using multiple-energy synchrotron operation.Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res Sect B Beam Interact Mater Atoms. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2017.03.051
- High frequency linacs for hadrontherapy.Rev Accel Sci Technol. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1142/s179362680900020x
- Treatment planning and verification of proton therapy using spot scanning: Initial experiences.Med Phys. 2004; https://doi.org/10.1118/1.1779371
- Evaluation and mitigation of the interplay effects of intensity modulated proton therapy for lung cancer in a clinical setting.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prro.2014.06.010
- Is it necessary to plan with safety margins for actively scanned proton therapy?.Phys Med Biol. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/56/14/011
- Experimental verification of motion mitigation of discrete proton spot scanning by re-scanning.Phys Med Biol. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/58/23/8555
- Comparative study of layered and volumetric rescanning for different scanning speeds of proton beam in liver patients.Phys Med Biol. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/58/22/7905
- In the context of radiosurgery – pros and cons of rescanning as a solution for treating moving targets with scanned particle beams.Phys Medica. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2014.03.010
- Quantification of interplay effects of scanned particle beams and moving targets.Phys Med Biol. 2008; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/53/9/003
- Motion in radiotherapy: particle therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/56/16/R01
- Respiratory gated irradiation system for heavy-ion radiotherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(00)00524-1
- Gated irradiation with scanned particle beams.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.11.014
- A study on repainting strategies for treating moderately moving targets with proton pencil beam scanning at the new gantry 2 at PSI.Phys Med Biol. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/55/17/014
- Effectiveness of different rescanning techniques for scanned proton radiotherapy in lung cancer patients.Phys Med Biol. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6560/aabb7b
- 4D in-beam positron emission tomography for verification of motion-compensated ion beam therapy.Med Phys. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3196236
- Online image guided tumour tracking with scanned proton beams: a comprehensive simulation study.Phys Med Biol. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/59/24/7793
- Proton and carbon ion therapy.CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, 2013
- An evaluation of rescanning technique for liver tumour treatments using a commercial PBS proton therapy system.Radiother Oncol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2016.09.011
- Scanned proton radiotherapy for mobile targets – the effectiveness of re-scanning in the context of different treatment planning approaches and for different motion characteristics.Phys Med Biol. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/56/22/016
- Particle therapy of moving targets-the strategies for tumour motion monitoring and moving targets irradiation.Br J Radiol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr.20150275
- Carbon/proton therapy: a novel gantry design.Phys Rev Spec Top - Accel Beams. 2007; https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.10.053503
- Design of an achromatic superconducting magnet for a proton therapy gantry.IEEE Trans Appl Supercond. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2016.2628305
- A novel beam optics concept in a particle therapy gantry utilizing the advantages of superconducting magnets.Z Med Phys. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.zemedi.2016.03.006
Garonna A, Alharbi N, Amaldi U, Benedetto E, Ljubicic V, Riboni PL. Delivery and gantry concepts from TERA. Presentation at Workshop on Ideas and technologies for a next generation facility for medical research and therapy with ions, Archamps (ESI) 2018, https://indico.cern.ch/event/682210/contributions/2997883/attachments/1671379/2711300/20180620_PIMMS2workshopAG_v7_-_filt.pdf n.d.
- Oblique raster scanning: an ion dose delivery procedure with variable energy layers.Phys Med Biol. 2019; 64: 115003https://doi.org/10.1088/1361-6560/ab0920