- •The response of a PMMA and silica optical fibre when exposed to 16.5 MeV protons is investigated.
- •A linear response observed in the change in ratio between the 460 nm and 650 nm peaks of the silica fibre.
- •Changes in PMMA emission spectrum are shown to be due to activation and photodarkening within the fibre.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Characterization of the proton irradiation induced luminescence of materials and application in radiation oncology dosimetry.SPIE BiOS: SPIE, 2018: 7
- Development of optical fiber based measurement system for the verification of entrance dose map in pencil beam scanning proton beam.Sensors. 2018; 18: 227
- Quenching-free fluorescence signal from plastic-fibres in proton dosimetry: understanding the influence of Čerenkov radiation.Phys Med Biol. 2018; 63065001
- Depth dose measurement using a scintillating fiber optic dosimeter for proton therapy beam of the passive-scattering mode having range modulator wheel.J Korean Phys Soc. 2018; 72: 1025-1032
- Characteristics of fiber-optic radiation sensor for passive scattering proton beams.J Instrum. 2017; 12: P11015
- Fiber-optic Cerenkov radiation sensor for proton therapy dosimetry.Opt Express. 2012; 20: 13907-13914
- The visible signal responsible for proton therapy dosimetry using bare optical fibers is not Čerenkov radiation.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 5973-5980
- On the origin of the visible light responsible for proton dose measurement using plastic optical fibers.SPIE BiOS. 2017; 10056: 5
- Proton therapy dosimetry using the scintillation of the silica fibers.Opt Lett. 2017; 42: 847-850
- Proton therapy dosimetry by using silica glass optical fiber microprobes.SPIE BiOS. 2017; 10058: 4
Zhurenko VP, Kalantaryan OV, Kononenko SI. Change of silica luminescence due to fast hydrogen ion bombardment; 2015, 60:289.
- Time dependence of silica optical properties during the implantation of fast hydrogen ions: Experiment.Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res Sect B. 2016; 366: 90-95
- Development of a novel proton dosimetry system using an array of fiber-optic Cerenkov radiation sensors.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 117: 501-504
- Design and characterisation of a real time proton and carbon ion radiography system based on scintillating optical fibres.Phys Med Eur J Med Phys. 2016; 32: 1124-1134
- A system for online beam emittance measurements and proton beam characterization.J Instrum. 2018; 13: P01011
- A detector based on silica fibers for ion beam monitoring in a wide current range.J Instrum. 2016; 11: P03027
Fernandez AF, O'Keeffe S, Fitzpatrick C, Brichard B, Berghmans F, Lewis E. Gamma dosimetry using commercial PMMA optical fibres for nuclear environments. In 17th International Conference on Optical Fibre Sensors; 2005; 5855:4.
Berger MJ, Coursey, J.S., Zucker, M.A., Chang, J. ESTAR, PSTAR, and ASTAR: Computer programs for calculating stopping-power and range tables for electrons, protons, and helium ions (version 2.0.1); 2005.
- Statistical model calculations in heavy ion reactions.Phys Rev C. 1980; 21: 230-236
- LISE++: Radioactive beam production with in-flight separators.Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res Sect B. 2008; 266: 4657-4664