- •A methodology has been developed for patient specific quality assurance in MRT.
- •The segmentation of peaks and valleys doses can be done on Gafchromic films for direct comparisons with MRT treatment plan.
- •Gamma-index tests performed on normalised dose distributions exhibit over 90% passing rate.
- •Some discrepancies remain on the absolute isocenter doses and require further investigation.
- •Despite these discrepancies, large animal MRT studies are starting at the ESRF based on valley doses prescription.
Microbeam radiation therapy (MRT) uses synchrotron arrays of X-ray microbeams to take advantage of the spatial fractionation effect for normal tissue sparing. In this study, radiochromic film dosimetry was performed for a treatment where MRT is introduced as a dose boost in a hypofractionated stereotactic radiotherapy (SRT) scheme. The isocenter dose was measured using an ionization chamber and two dimensional dose distributions were determined using radiochromic films. To compare the measured dose distribution to the MRT treatment plan, peak and valley were displayed in separate dosemaps. The measured and computed isocenter doses were compared and a two-dimensional 2%/2 mm normalized -index analysis with a 90% passing rate criterion was computed. For SRT, a difference of 2.6% was observed in the dose at the isocenter from the treatment plan and film measurement, with a passing rate of 96% for the -index analysis. For MRT, peak and valley doses differences of 25.6% and 8.2% were observed, respectively but passing rates of 96% and 90% respectively were obtained from the normalized -index maps. The differences in isocenter doses measured in MRT should be further investigated. We present the methodology of patient specific quality assurance (QA) for studying MRT dose distributions and discuss ideas to improve absolute dosimetry. This patient specific QA will be used for large animal trials quality assurance where MRT will be administered as a dose boost in conventional SRT. The observed remaining discrepancies should be studied against approximations in the TPS phantom materials, beams characteristics or film read-out procedures.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global access to radiotherapy services: have we made progress during the past decade?.J Glob Oncol. 2016; 2 (ISSN 2378-9506): 207-215https://doi.org/10.1200/JGO.2015.001545
- The role of medical physicists in developing stereotactic radiosurgery.Med Phys. 2008; 35 (ISSN 00942405): 4262-4277https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2969268
- The normal tissue effects of microbeam radiotherapy: what do we know and what do we need to know to plan a human clinical trial?.Int J Radiat Biol. 2016; 3002 (ISSN 0955-3002): 1-10https://doi.org/10.3109/09553002.2016.1154217
- Synchrotron radiation therapy from a medical physics point of view.AIP Conf Proc. 2010; 1266 (ISSN 0094243X 15517616): 101-106https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3478185
- Optimization of X-ray microplanar beam radiation therapy for deep-seated tumor by a simulation study.J X-ray Sci Technol. 2014; 22: 395-406
- Determination of dosimetrical quantities used in microbeam radiation therapy (MRT) with Monte Carlo simulations.Med Phys. 2006; 33 (ISSN 00942405): 3248-3259https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2229422
- Subacute neuropathological effects of microplanar bbeam of x-rays from a synchrotron wiggler.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1995; 92: 8783-8787
- Neuropathology of ablation of rat gliosarcoma and contiguous brain tissues using a microplanar beam of synchrotron-wiggler-generated x-rays.Int J Cancer. 1998; 78: 654-660
- Microbeam radiation therapy.Proc. SPIE. 3770, medical applications of penetrating radiation. 1999; : 38-45
- Characterization and quantification of cerebral edema induced by synchrotron x-ray microbeam radiation therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2008; 53: 1153-1166
- High-precision radiosurgical dose delivery by interlaced microbeam arrays of high-flux low-energy synchrotron X-rays.PLoS One. 2010; 5e9028
- Effects of pulsed, spatially fractionated microscopic synchrotron X-ray bbeam on normal and tumoral brain tissue.Mutat Res. 2010; 704: 160-166
- Preferential effect of synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy on intracerebral 9L gliosarcoma vascular networks.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2011; 78: 1503-1512
- Synchrotron microbeam Radiation therapy induces hypoxia in intracerebral gliosarcoma but not in the normal brain.Radiother Oncol. 2013; 108: 143-148
- Effects of microbeam radiation therapy on normal and tumoral blood vessels.Phys Med. 2015; 31: 634-641
- An evaluation of dose equivalence between synchrotron Microbeam Radiation Therapy and conventional broadbeam radiation using clonogenic and cell impedance assays.PLoS One. 2014; 9e100547
- Monte Carlo dosimetry for forthcoming clinical trials in x-ray microbeam radiation therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2010; 55: 4375-4388
- Monte Carlo-based treatment planning system calculation engine for microbeam radiation therapy.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 2829-2838
- Micrometer-resolved film dosimetry using a microscope in microbeam radiation therapy.Med Phys. 2015; 42 (ISSN 0094-2405): 4069-4079https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4922001
- Hybrid dose calculation: a dose calculation algorithm for microbeam radiation therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2018; 63: 1-12
- A new concept of pencil beam dose calculation for 40–200 keV photons using analytical dose kernels.Med Phys. 2013; 40 (ISSN 0094-2405): 111714https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4824150
International Atomic Energy Agency. Absorbed dose determination in external beam radiotherapy: an international code of practice for dosimetry based standards of absorbed dose to water. Technical Report Series No. 398. Vienna; 2000.
- AAPM protocol for 40–300 kV x-ray beam dosimetry in radiotherapy and radiobiology.Med Phys. 2001; 28: 868-893
- X-Tream quality assurance in synchrotron X-ray microbeam radiation therapy.J Synchrotron Rad. 2016; 23: 1180-1190
- Dosimetry protocol for the forthcoming clinical trials in synchrotron stereotactic radiation therapy (SSRT).Med Phys. 2011; 38 (ISSN 00942405): 1709-1717https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3556561
- Absolute dosimetry on a dynamically scanned sample for synchrotron radiotherapy using graphite calorimetry and ionization chambers.Phys Med Biol. 2016; 61 (ISSN 0031-9155): 4201-4222https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/61/11/4201
- A method of dosimetry for synchrotron microbeam radiation therapy using radiochromic films of different sensitivity.Phys Med Biol. 2008; 53: 6861-6877
- Potential high resolution dosimeters for MRT.in: Siu K.K.W. 6th international conference on medical applications of synchrotron radiation. American Institute of Physics, 2010: 89-97
- Medical physics aspects of the synchrotron radiation therapies: microbeam radiation therapy (MRT) and synchrotron stereotactic radiotherapy (SSRT).Physica Med. 2015; 31: 568-583
- Characterization of a synthetic single crystal diamond detector for dosimetry in spatially fractionated synchrotron x-ray fields.Med Phys. 2016; 43 (ISSN 0094-2405): 4283-4293https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4953833
- Absorbed dose-to-water protocol applied to synchrotron-generated x-rays at very high dose rates.Phys Med Biol. 2016; (ISSN 0031-9155)https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/61/14/N349
- High resolution 3D imaging of synchrotron generatedmicrobeams.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 6973-6986
- Assessment of optical CT as a future QA tool for synchrotron x-ray microbeam therapy.Phys Med Biol. 2016; 61 (ISSN 0031-9155): 320-337https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/61/1/320
- Water equivalent PRESAGE for synchrotron radiation therapy dosimetry.Med Phys. 2018; 45: 1255-1265
- Need of patient-specific quality assurance and pre-treatment verification program for special plans in radiotherapy.J Med Phys. 2011; 36 (ISSN 1998-3913): 181-183https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-6203.83501
- Challenges in calculation of the gamma index in radiotherapy – towards good practice.Physica Med. 2017; 36 (ISSN 1724191X): 1-11https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2017.03.001
- A technique for the quantitative evaluation of dose distributions.Med Phys. 1998; 25 (ISSN 00942405): 656-661https://doi.org/10.1118/1.59824
- Place de l’irradiation sérŕotaxique hypofractionée dans le traitement des métastases cérébrales.Cancer/Radiothérapie. 2010; 14: 119-127
- Place de la radiochirurgie et de la radiothérapie stéréotaxique hypofractionée dans la prise en charge des métastases cérébrales.Bull Cancer. 2013; 100: 75-81
- Radiothérapie en conditions stéréotaxiques des métastases cérébrales.Cancer/Radiothérapie. 2015; 19: 25-29
- Fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy for brain metastases: a system review with tumour control probability modemodel.Br J Radiol. 2017; 90: 20160666
- Energy spectra considerations for synchrotron radiotherapy trials on the ID17 bio-medical beamline at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility.J Synchrotron Rad. 2015; 22 (ISSN 16005775): 1035-1041https://doi.org/10.1107/S160057751500811
- In vivo pink-beam imaging and fast alignment procedure for rat brain tumor radiation therapy.J Synchrotron Rad. 2016; 23: 339-343
- Conformal image-guided microbeam radiation therapy at the ESRF biomedical beamline ID17.Med Phys. 2016; 43 (ISSN 0094-2405): 3157-3167https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4950724
- New technology enables high precision multislit collimators for microbeam radiation therapy.Rev Scientific Instrum. 2009; 80 (ISSN 00346748)https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3170035
- Preclinical radiotherapy at the Australian Synchrotron’s Imaging and Medical Beamline: instrumentation, dosimetry and a small-animal feasibility study.J Synchrotron Rad. Jul 2017; 24 (ISSN 1600-5775): 854-865https://doi.org/10.1107/S1600577517006233
- Consideration of optimal isodose surface selection for target coverage in micro-multileaf collimator-based stereotactic radiotherapy for large cystic brain metastases: comparison of 90%, 80% and 70% isodose surface-based planning.Brit J Radiol. 2012; 85: e640-e646https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/21015703
- High resolution radiochromic film dosimetry: Comparison of a microdensitometer and an optical microscope.Physica Med. 2019; 65: 106-113
- Correlation between CT numbers and tissue parameters neneed for Monte Carlo simulations of clinical dose distributions.Phys Med Biol. 2000; 45: 459-478
Seltzer S. X-ray mass attenuation coefficients; 2004.
- Comparison of phantom materials for use in quality assurance of microbeam radiation therapy.J Synchrotron Rad. 2017; 24 (ISSN 1600-5775): 866-876https://doi.org/10.1107/S1600577517005641
Published online: September 17, 2019
Accepted: September 5, 2019
Received in revised form: August 2, 2019
Received: July 2, 2019
© 2019 Associazione Italiana di Fisica Medica. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.