- •KB-optimization for ART early-regression guided boosting technique for rectal cancer.
- •Robust strategy to scale the KB-model of the first phase to the ART-phase.
- •Automatic KB-approach showed better/equal performances compared to clinical plans.
- •A gEUD reduction (up to 3 Gy) was obtained with the KB-optimization.
Material and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Rectal cancer: neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2016; 30: 629-639https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2016.06.004
- Advances and challenges in treatment of locally advanced rectal cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 1797-1808https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2014.60.1054
- High-dose chemoradiotherapy and watchful waiting for distal rectal cancer: a prospective observational study.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 919-927https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(15)00120-5
- The promise of adaptive radiotherapy for pelvic tumors: “too high cost for too little result” or “a low cost for a significant result”?.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2016; 55: 939-942https://doi.org/10.1080/0284186X.2016.1203460
- Feasibility of an adaptive strategy in preoperative radiochemotherapy for rectal cancer with image-guided tomotherapy: Boosting the dose to the shrinking tumor.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 87: 67-72https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.05.004
- Accurate outcome prediction after neo-adjuvant radio-chemotherapy for rectal cancer based on a TCP-based early regression index.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2019; 19: 12-16https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctro.2019.07.001
- A TCP-based early regression index predicts the pathological response in neo-adjuvant radio-chemotherapy of rectal cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2018; 128: 564-568https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2018.06.019
- Could early tumour volume changes assessed on morphological MRI predict the response to chemoradiation therapy in locally-advanced rectal cancer?.Clin Radiol. 2018; 73: 555-563https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2018.01.007
- ICycle: Integrated, multicriterial beam angle, and profile optimization for generation of coplanar and noncoplanar IMRT plans.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 951-963https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3676689
- Knowledge-based treatment planning: an inter-technique and inter-system feasibility study for prostate cancer.Phys Medica. 2017; 36: 38-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2017.03.002
- Evaluation of an automated knowledge based treatment planning system for head and neck.Radiat Oncol. 2015; : 10https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-015-0533-2
- Intercenter validation of a knowledge based model for automated planning of volumetric modulated arc therapy for prostate cancer. The experience of the German RapidPlan Consortium.PLoS One. 2017; : 12https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0178034
- A DVH-guided IMRT optimization algorithm for automatic treatment planning and adaptive radiotherapy replanning.Med Phys. 2014; : 41https://doi.org/10.1118/1.4875700
- Validation of fully automated VMAT plan generation for library-based plan-of-the-day cervical cancer radiotherapy.PLoS One. 2016; 11: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169202
- Knowledge-based planning for intensity-modulated radiation therapy: a review of data-driven approaches.Med Phys. 2019; 46: 2760-2775https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.13526
- Automated radiotherapy treatment planning.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2019; 29: 209-218https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semradonc.2019.02.003
- Comparison of planning quality and efficiency between conventional and knowledge-based algorithms in nasopharyngeal cancer patients using intensity modulated radiation therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 95: 981-990https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2016.02.017
- Performance of a knowledge-based model for optimization of volumetric modulated arc therapy plans for single and bilateral breast irradiation.PLoS One. 2015; : 10https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0145137
- Reducing inter- and intra-planner variability in radiotherapy plan output with a commercial knowledge-based planning solution.Phys Med. 2018; 53: 86-93https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2018.08.016
- Clinical validation and benchmarking of knowledge-based IMRT and VMAT treatment planning in pelvic anatomy.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 120: 473-479https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2016.06.022
- Creation of knowledge-based planning models intended for large scale distribution: minimizing the effect of outlier plans.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2018; 19: 215-226https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.12322
- Comprehensive Intra-Institution stepping validation of knowledge-based models for automatic plan optimization.Phys Med. 2019; 57: 231-237https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2018.12.002
- Assessment and clinical validation of margins for adaptive simultaneous integrated boost in neo-adjuvant radiochemotherapy for rectal cancer.Phys Med. 2015; 31: 167-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2014.12.002
- Characterisation of rectal motion during neo-adjuvant radiochemotherapy for rectal cancer with image-guided tomotherapy: implications for adaptive dose escalation strategies.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2012; 51: 318-324https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2012.666358
- Effect of dosimetric outliers on the performance of a commercial knowledge-based planning solution.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016; 94: 469-477https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2015.11.011
- On the pre-clinical validation of a commercial model-based optimisation engine: application to volumetric modulated arc therapy for patients with lung or prostate cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2014; 113: 385-391https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2014.11.009
- Pareto-optimal plans as ground truth for validation of a commercial system for knowledge-based DVH-prediction.Phys Med. 2018; 55: 98-106https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2018.11.002
Bentzen MJ and S. Fractionation: the linear-quadratic approach 2009:110–27. DOI:10.1201/B15450-11.
- The use and QA of biologically related models for treatment planning: short report of the TG-166 of the therapy physics committee of the AAPM.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 1386-1409https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3685447
- Predicting toxicity in radiotherapy for prostate cancer.Phys Med. 2016; 32: 521-532https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2016.03.003
- Dose-volume effects for normal tissues in external radiotherapy: pelvis.Radiother Oncol. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2009.08.004
Rancati T, Fiorino C. Modelling radiotherapy side effects : practical applications for planning optimisation. 2019. DOI:10.1201/b21956.
- Patient-reported intestinal toxicity from whole pelvis intensity-modulated radiotherapy: first quantification of bowel dose–volume effects.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 124: 296-301https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2017.07.005
- Dose-volume relationships for acute bowel toxicity in patients treated with pelvic nodal irradiation for prostate cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009; 75: 29-35https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.10.086
- Evaluation of a knowledge-based planning solution for head and neck cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 612-620https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2014.11.014
- A dosimetric evaluation of knowledge-based VMAT planning with simultaneous integrated boosting for rectal cancer patients.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016; 17: 78-85https://doi.org/10.1120/jacmp.v17i6.6410
- Applying a RapidPlan model trained on a technique and orientation to another: a feasibility and dosimetric evaluation.Radiat Oncol. 2016; 11https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-016-0684-9
- Evaluation of multiple institutions’ models for knowledge-based planning of volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) for prostate cancer.Radiat Oncol. 2018; : 1-11https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-018-0994-1
- Evaluating inter-campus plan consistency using a knowledge based planning model.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 120: 349-355https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2016.06.010
- Dose escalation for locally advanced lung cancer using adaptive radiation therapy with simultaneous integrated volume-adapted boost.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 86: 414-419https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2012.12.027
- Adaptive management of cervical cancer radiotherapy.Semin Radiat Oncol. 2010; 20: 121-129https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semradonc.2009.11.006
- Adaptive radiotherapy strategies for pelvic tumors – a systematic review of clinical implementations.Acta Oncol (Madr). 2016; 55: 943-958https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2016.1156738
- Evaluation of a commercial automatic treatment planning system for prostate cancers.Med Dosim. 2017; 42: 203-209https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meddos.2017.03.004
- An analysis of knowledge-based planning for stereotactic body radiation therapy of the spine.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2017; 7: e355-e360https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prro.2017.02.007
- Performance of knowledge-based radiation therapy planning for the glioblastoma disease site.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017; 99: 1021-1028https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2017.07.012