- •Online mentoring is useful to support young professionals in developing countries.
- •The impact of a global mentoring program on career development of young medical physicists was evaluated.
- •The mentor-mentee relationship can be helpful in decision-making situations.
- •Mentoring relationships can incentivise and promote the development of leadership.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Gender differences in expected outcomes of mentoring relationships.Acad Manage J. 1994; 37: 957-971
- An investigation of personal learning in mentoring relationships: content, antecedents, and consequences.Acad Manage J. 2002; 45: 779-790
- Leader reputation: the role of mentoring, political skill, contextual learning, and adaptation.Hum Resour Manage. 2007; 46: 5-19
- Effects of mentoring on the development of leadership self-efficacy and political skill.J Leadership Stud. 2012; 6: 17-32
- Investigating the benefits of online peer mentoring for student confidence and motivation.Int J Mentor Coach Educ. 2018; 7: 312-328
- Who is a mentor? A Review of evolving definitions and implications for research.J Manage. 2010; 37: 280-304
- Mentoring and undergraduate academic success: a literature review.Rev Educ Res. 1991; 61: 505-532
Marshall-Triner, J., Mentoring at work: Developmental relationships in organizational life, by Kathy E. Kram. Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman, 1984. $8.95, paper. Human Resource Management, 1986. 25(4): p. 639-644.
Packard, B.W.L. and N.L. Fortenberry, Successful STEM Mentoring Initiatives for Underrepresented Students: A Research-based Guide for Faculty and Administrators. 2015: Stylus.
- A systematic review of qualitative research on the meaning and characteristics of mentoring in academic medicine.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 72-78
Megginson, D., Mentoring in Action: A Practical Guide (2nd ed.). Development and Learning in Organizations: An International Journal, 2006. 20(5).
Zachary Lois, J., Creating a Mentoring Culture: The Organization#s Guide. Development and Learning in Organizations: An International Journal, 2006. 20(4).
- From Mentor to Mentoring Networks: Mentoring in the New Academy.Change Mag High Learn. 2007; 39: 58-61
- Mentoring and cultural diversity in academic settings.Am Behav Sci. 1990; 34: 188-200
Barabino, G., et al., Solutions to Gender Balance in STEM Fields Through Support, Training, Education and Mentoring: Report of the International Women in Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering Task Group. Sci Eng Ethics, 2020. 26(1): p. 275–292.
- MBA degree is needed for leadership roles in Medical Physics profession.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2017; 18: 6-9
- Subjects such as strategic planning, extra-disciplinary communication, and management have become crucial to medical physics clinical practice and should become an integral part of the medical physics curriculum.Med Phys. 2017; 44: 3885-3887
Caruana, C.J., Leadership and Challenges in Medical Physics: A Strategic and Robust Approach, in A EUTEMPE network book. 2020, IOP Publishing.
- EUTEMPE-RX module MPE01: Developments in the profession and challenges for the medical physics expert (D&IR) in Europe – a first in international medical physics education and training.Med Phys Int J. 2015; 3: 69-71
Akin, L., et al., E-mentoring in Three Voices. 2007.
- Women in physics: pioners who inspire us.Med Phys Int J. 2018; 6
- Mentorship experiences of early-career academic radiation oncologists in North America.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2018; 101: 732-740
- Perceptions of mentor roles in cross-gender mentoring relationships.J Vocat Behav. 1990; 37: 321-339
- Mentoring and the career satisfaction of male and female academic medical faculty.Acad Med. 2014; 89: 301-311
Caruana, C.J., What is strategic and robust leadership, and why is it critical for Medical Physics in the present environment?, in Leadership and Challenges in Medical Physics: A Strategic and Robust Approach. 2020, IOP Publishing. p. 1-1-1-12.