- •Modern 3D brachytherapy treatment planning systems have become highly complex.
- •Meticulous commissioning of such systems is essential but somewhat overlooked.
- •Up-to-date commissioning items for GYN HDR brachytherapy planning are presented.
- •The template covers 43 recommended items to consider (including their rationale).
- •It can also serve as a guide for allocation of the required time and resources.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Advancements in brachytherapy.Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2017; 109: 15-25
- Brachytherapy: A critical component of primary radiation therapy for cervical cancer: for the Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) and the American Brachytherapy Society (ABS).Brachytherapy. 2019;
- A consensus-based, process commissioning template for high-dose-rate gynecologic treatments.Brachytherapy. 2016; 15: 570-577
Palmer A, Hayman O, Toussaint A, Sauer O. Proposal to improve commissioning of HDR brachytherapy with results from the first 2 SagiNova® units. ESTRO 35. Turin, Italy: Radiotherapy and Oncology; 2016. p. S939.
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine Radiation Therapy Committee Task Group 53: quality assurance for clinical radiotherapy treatment planning.Med Phys. 1998; 25: 1773-1829
- Magnetic resonance imaging for planning intracavitary brachytherapy for the treatment of locally advanced cervical cancer.Radiología (English Edition). 2016; 58: 16-25
International Atomic Energy Agency, The Transition from 2-D Brachytherapy to 3-D High Dose Rate Brachytherapy, Human Health Reports No. 12, IAEA, Vienna (2015).
- Dose and volume parameters for MRI-based treatment planning in intracavitary brachytherapy for cervical cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol•Biolgy•Phys. 2005; 62: 901-911
- Recommendations from gynaecological (GYN) GEC ESTRO working group (II): Concepts and terms in 3D image-based treatment planning in cervix cancer brachytherapy—3D dose volume parameters and aspects of 3D image-based anatomy, radiation physics, radiobiology.Radiother Oncol. 2006; 78: 67-77
- Enhancements to commissioning techniques and quality assurance of brachytherapy treatment planning systems that use model-based dose calculation algorithms.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 2645-2658
- Methodology for commissioning a brachytherapy treatment planning system in the era of 3D planning.Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 2010; 33: 341-349
- Commissioning and quality assurance of treatment planning computers.Int J Radiat Oncol*Biol*Phys. 1993; 26: 261-273
- Comprehensive QA for radiation oncology: report of AAPM radiation therapy committee task group 40.Med Phys. 1994; 21: 581-618
- Code of practice for brachytherapy physics: report of the AAPM radiation therapy committee task group No. 56.Med Phys. 1997; 24: 1557-1598https://doi.org/10.1118/1.597966
- High dose-rate brachytherapy treatment delivery: report of the AAPM radiation therapy committee task group No. 59.Med Phys. 1998; 25: 375-403https://doi.org/10.1118/1.598232
- Update of AAPM Task Group No. 43 Report: a revised AAPM protocol for brachytherapy dose calculations.Med Phys. 2004; 31: 633-674https://doi.org/10.1118/1.1646040
- Commissioning and quality assurance of computerized planning systems for radiation treatment of cancer.Int Atomic Energy Agency Techn Rep Series. 2004;
- A practical guide to quality control of brachytherapy equipment.ESTRO Brussels, 2004
- Report of the Task Group 186 on model-based dose calculation methods in brachytherapy beyond the TG-43 formalism: current status and recommendations for clinical implementation.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 6208-6236
- Impact of the vaginal applicator and dummy pellets on the dosimetry parameters of Cs-137 brachytherapy source.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2011; 12: 183-193
- EchoSeed model 6733 iodine-125 brachytherapy source: improved dosimetric characterization using the MCNP5 Monte Carlo code.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 4653-4659
- Developing a treatment planning software based on TG-43U1 formalism for Cs-137 LDR brachytherapy.Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2013; 15: 712
- Verification of high dose rate brachytherapy dose distributions with EBT3 Gafchromic film quality control techniques.Phys Med Biol. 2013; 58: 497
- A BrachyPhantom for verification of dose calculation of HDR brachytherapy planning system.Med Phys. 2013; 40112103
- Dosimetric verification of a high dose rate brachytherapy treatment planning system in homogeneous and heterogeneous media.Physica Med. 2013; 29: 171-177
- Commissioning of a grid-based Boltzmann solver for cervical cancer brachytherapy treatment planning with shielded colpostats.Brachytherapy. 2013; 12: 645-653
- Development of a phantom to validate high-dose-rate brachytherapy treatment planning systems with heterogeneous algorithms.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 1566-1574
- Validation of the oncentra brachy advanced collapsed cone engine for a commercial 192 Ir source using heterogeneous geometries.Brachytherapy. 2015; 14: 939-952
- Commissioning of a modern commercial brachytherapy treatment planning system according to the Tg-186 report.Brachytherapy. 2015; 14: S72-S73
- Film based verification of calculation algorithms used for brachytherapy planning-getting ready for upcoming challenges of MBDCA.J Contemp Brachytherapy. 2016; 8: 326
de Oliveira CA, do Carmo Lopes M, Matos A. Commissioning of brachytherapy module of Oncentra MasterPlan treatment planning system. J Contemp Brachyther. 2009;1:224.
- Commissioning of a 3D image-based treatment planning system for high-dose-rate brachytherapy of cervical cancer.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016; 17: 405-426
- Recommendations from Gynaecological (GYN) GEC-ESTRO Working Group (IV): Basic principles and parameters for MR imaging within the frame of image based adaptive cervix cancer brachytherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2012; 103: 113-122
- Metal artefacts in MRI-guided brachytherapy of cervical cancer.J Contemp Brachyther. 2016; 8: 363
- Recommendations from Gynaecological (GYN) GEC-ESTRO Working Group: considerations and pitfalls in commissioning and applicator reconstruction in 3D image-based treatment planning of cervix cancer brachytherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2010; 96: 153-160
- A brief look at model-based dose calculation principles, practicalities, and promise.J Contemp Brachyther. 2017; 9: 79
- American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for locally advanced carcinoma of the cervix. Part I: general principles.Brachytherapy. 2012; 11: 33-46
- American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for locally advanced carcinoma of the cervix. Part II: high-dose-rate brachytherapy.Brachytherapy. 2012; 11: 47-52
- CT artifacts: causes and reduction techniques.Imag Med. 2012; 4: 229-240
International Atomic Energy Agency, Accuracy requirements and uncertainties in radiotherapy. Human Health Series 31. : Vienna: IAEA; 2016.
- Use of image registration and fusion algorithms and techniques in radiotherapy: report of the AAPM Radiation Therapy Committee Task Group No. 132.Med Phys. 2017;
- Dosimetry of interstitial brachytherapy sources: recommendations of the AAPM Radiation Therapy Committee Task Group No. 43.Med Phys. 1995; 22: 209-234https://doi.org/10.1118/1.597458
- Performance assessment of the BEBIG MultiSource® high dose rate brachytherapy treatment unit.Phys Med Biol. 2009; 54: 7417
- Dose calculation for photon-emitting brachytherapy sources with average energy higher than 50 keV: Report of the AAPM and ESTRO.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 2904-2929
Radiological Physics Center. Brachytherapy Source Registry Joint AAPM/IROC Houston Registry of Brachytherapy Sources Meeting the AAPM Dosimetric Prerequisites. Available at: http://rpc.mdanderson.org/RPC/BrachySeeds/Source_Registry.htm.
- Independent evaluation of an in-house brachytherapy treatment planning system using simulation, measurement and calculation methods.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2012; 13: 103-112
- SP-0200: QA and commissioning of brachytherapy treatment planning systems.Radiother Oncol. 2015; 115: S101
- A generic high-dose rate 192Ir brachytherapy source for evaluation of model-based dose calculations beyond the TG-43 formalism.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 3048-3062
Gerbaulet A, Gerbaulet A. The GEC ESTRO handbook of brachytherapy; 2002.
- ACPSEM brachytherapy working group recommendations for quality assurance in brachytherapy.Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 2013; 36: 387-396
- Dosimetric accuracy of a deterministic radiation transport based I192r brachytherapy treatment planning system. Part I: Single sources and bounded homogeneous geometries.Med Phys. 2010; 37: 649-661
- A user-oriented procedure for the commissioning and quality assurance testing of treatment planning system dosimetry in high-dose-rate brachytherapy.Brachytherapy. 2016; 15: 252-262
- Experimental verification of Advanced Collapsed-cone Engine for use with a multichannel vaginal cylinder applicator.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2017; 18: 16-27
- Experimental assessment of the Advanced Collapsed-cone Engine for scalp brachytherapy treatments.Brachytherapy. 2018; 17: 489-499
- Brachytherapy dose-volume histogram commissioning with multiple planning systems.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2014; 15: 110-120
- Accuracy of volume and DVH parameters determined with different brachytherapy treatment planning systems.Radiother Oncol. 2007; 84: 290-297
- Quality assurance procedures during commissioning of a treatment planning system as a tool to establish new standards before migration.J Contemp Brachyther. 2010; 2: 76
- Addendum to brachytherapy dose-volume histogram commissioning with multiple planning systems.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016; 17: 502-505
- The influence of the dwell time deviation constraint (DTDC) parameter on dosimetry with IPSA optimisation for HDR prostate brachytherapy.Australas Phys Eng Sci Med. 2015; 38: 55-61
- Robustness of IPSA optimized high-dose-rate prostate brachytherapy treatment plans to catheter displacements.J Contemp Brachyther. 2016; 8: 201
- Influence of dwell time homogeneity error weight parameter on treatment plan quality in inverse optimized high-dose-rate cervix brachytherapy using SagiPlan.J Contemp Brachyther. 2019; 11: 256
- Quality assurance for high dose rate brachytherapy. High Dose Rate.Brachytherapy. 1994; : 147-212
- Standard high dose rate brachytherapy plan template generation as part of a comprehensive brachytherapy program.Brachytherapy. 2016; 15: S138
- Accuracy requirements and uncertainties in radiotherapy: a report of the International Atomic Energy Agency.Acta Oncol. 2017; 56: 1-6
- Analysis of treatment delivery errors in brachytherapy using formal risk analysis techniques.Int J Radiat Oncol•Biol•Phys. 2003; 57: 1492-1508
- A 2-year review of recent Nuclear Regulatory Commission events: what errors occur in the modern brachytherapy era?.Pract Radiat Oncol. 2012; 2: 157-163
- Failure modes and effects analysis applied to high-dose-rate brachytherapy treatment planning.Brachytherapy. 2013; 12: 382-386
- The role of magnetic susceptibility in magnetic resonance imaging: MRI magnetic compatibility of the first and second kinds.Med Phys. 1996; 23: 815-850
- Advanced Collapsed cone Engine dose calculations in tissue media for COMS eye plaques loaded with I-125 seeds.Med Phys. 2018; 45: 3349-3360
- Current state of the art brachytherapy treatment planning dosimetry algorithms.Br J Radiol. 2014; 87: 20140163
- High-dose-rate 192Ir brachytherapy dose verification: a phantom study.Iran J Cancer Prevent. 2015; 8
- Verification of the dose distribution calculated by the treatment planning system in high dose rate brachytherapy.Phys Med. 2018; 52: 171
- A conformal index (COIN) to evaluate implant quality and dose specification in brachytherapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1998; 40: 515-524
- Recommendations from Gynaecological (GYN) GEC-ESTRO Working Group☆(I): concepts and terms in 3D image based 3D treatment planning in cervix cancer brachytherapy with emphasis on MRI assessment of GTV and CTV.Radiother Oncol. 2005; 74: 235-245
- Clinical outcome of protocol based image (MRI) guided adaptive brachytherapy combined with 3D conformal radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced cervical cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2011; 100: 116-123
- Inverse planning anatomy-based dose optimization for HDR-brachytherapy of the prostate using fast simulated annealing algorithm and dedicated objective function.Med Phys. 2001; 28: 773-779
- 40 HIPO: a hybrid inverse treatment planning optimization algorithm in HDR brachytherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2005; 76: S29