- •The paperclip test for element failure was adapted for multi-row arrays.
- •The test uses a tool with a narrow cross section in all directions.
- •8 of 28 phased arrays in clinical use were found to be faulty.
- •No faults were found on 3 curvilinear and 2 linear arrays.
- •Probe tester identified defects were confirmed on phased and linear arrays.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- High incidence of defective ultrasound transducers in use in routine clinical practice.Eur J Echocardiogr. 2009; 10: 389-394https://doi.org/10.1093/ejechocard/jen295
- Four-year experience with a clinical ultrasound quality control programme.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2011; 37: 1350-1357https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2011.05.007
- Linear array test tool.J Ultrasound Med. 1989; 8: 385-397
- A simple uniformity test for ultrasound phased arrays.Phys Med. 2016; 32: 1162-1166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2016.08.011
Russell S, Dudley N, Evans T, Hoskins P, Watson A, Starrit H. Quality assurance of ultrasound imaging systems. IPEM Report No. 102. York: IPEM; 2010.
- Ultrasound probe acceptance testing using the in-air reverberation pattern.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2019; 45: 1475-1482https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2019.02.001
- Is grey level a suitable alternative to low contrast penetration as a serial measure of sensitivity in computerized ultrasound quality assurance?.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2017; 43: 541-545https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2016.09.023
- The effect of dead elements on the accuracy of Doppler ultrasound measurements.Ultrason Imaging. 2014; 36https://doi.org/10.1177/0161734613508933
- The methods and effects of transducer degradation on image quality and the clinical efficacy of diagnostic sonography.J Diagn Med Sonog. 2003; 19: 3-13