- •The pair of kVp had an impact on the spectral performance of abdominal imaging.
- •70/Sn150 kVp pair provides the best image quality at low iodine concentration.
- •100/Sn150 kVp pair provides the best results for iodine quantification accuracy.
- •70/Sn150 kVp is the suitable pair despite a lower iodine quantification accuracy.
Materials and methods
Abbreviations:CT (Computed Tomography), CTDIvol (Volume CT dose index), DECT (Dual-energy CT), DSCT (Dual-source CT), HU (Hounsfield Unit), IB (Iodine bias), RMSD (Root-mean square deviation), VMIs (Virtual monochromatic images), CNR (Contrast-to-noise ratio), SD (Standard deviation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Review of clinical applications for virtual monoenergetic dual-energy CT.Radiology. 2019; 293: 260-271https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2019182297
- Dual-energy CT applications in the abdomen.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2012; 199: S64-S70
- Applications of dual energy computed tomography in abdominal imaging.Diagn Interv Imaging. 2016; 97: 593-603
- Low kV versus dual-energy virtual monoenergetic CT imaging for proven liver lesions: what are the advantages and trade-offs in conspicuity and image quality? A pilot study.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2018; 43: 1404-1412
- Dual-Energy CT in Evaluation of the Acute Abdomen.RadioGraphics. 2019; 39: 264-286
- State of the art: dual-energy CT of the abdomen.Radiology. 2014; 271: 327-342https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.14131480
- Can Spectral CT Imaging Improve the Differentiation between Malignant and Benign Solitary Pulmonary Nodules ?.PLoS ONE. 2016; 11: e0147537https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0147537
- Material density iodine images in dual-energy CT: Detection and characterization of hypervascular liver lesions compared to magnetic resonance imaging.Eur J Radiol. 2017; 95: 300-306https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2017.08.035
- Principles and applications of multienergy CT: Report of AAPM Task Group 291.Med. Phys. 2020; 47e881-e912https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.14157
- Fast kVp-switching dual energy contrast-enhanced thorax and cardiac CT: A phantom study on the accuracy of iodine concentration and effective atomic number measurement.Med Phys. 2017; 44: 4724-4735https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.12437
- Performance of four dual-energy CT platforms for abdominal imaging: a task-based image quality assessment based on phantom data.Eur Radiol. 2021; 31: 5324-5334https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-020-07671-2
- Intermanufacturer Comparison of Dual-Energy CT Iodine Quantification and Monochromatic Attenuation: A Phantom Study.Radiology. 2018; 287: 224-234https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2017170896
- Iodine quantification to distinguish clear cell from papillary renal cell carcinoma at dual-energy multidetector CT: a multireader diagnostic performance study.Radiology. 2014; 273: 813-820
- Quantitative iodine content threshold for discrimination of renal cell carcinomas using rapid kV-switching dual-energy CT.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2017; 42: 727-734
- Metastatic and non-metastatic lymph nodes: quantification and different distribution of iodine uptake assessed by dual-energy CT.Eur Radiol. 2018; 28: 760-769
- Clinical significance of dual-energy CT-derived iodine quantification in the diagnosis of metastatic LN in colorectal cancer.Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015; 41: 1464-1470
- Faisal Khosa, Savvas Nicolaou, and Patrick McLaughlin. Dual-Energy CT Iodine Mapping and 40-keV Monoenergetic Applications in the Diagnosis of Acute Bowel Ischemia.Am J Roentgenol. 2018; 211: 564-570
- The importance of spectral separation: an assessment of dual-energy spectral separation for quantitative ability and dose efficiency.Invest Radiol. 2015; 50: 114-118
- Dual-source dual-energy CT with additional tin filtration: Dose and image quality evaluation in phantoms and in vivo.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010; 195: 1164-1174
- Selection of optimal tube potential settings for dual-energy CT virtual mono-energetic imaging of iodine in the abdomen [published online ahead of print 2017/04/04.Abdom Radiol (NY). 2017; 42: 2289-2296
- Accuracy of iodine quantification using dual energy CT in latest generation dual source and dual layer CT.Eur Radiol. 2017; 27: 3904-3912https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-017-4752-9