- •In biological tissue, paramagnetic and diamagnetic inclusions often occur co-located.
- •Especially in in vivo applications, a separation would be desirable.
- •A dedicated phantom with isotropic dia- and paramagnetic substructure is presented.
- •Measured susceptibility values and relaxation rates are compared with theoretical values.
- •The proposed phantom allows for the validation of QSM and source separation algorithms.
Abbreviations:QSM (quantitative susceptibility mapping), VOI (volume of interest), CaCO3 (calcium carbonate), WC (tungsten carbide)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Clinical magnetic susceptibility mapping of the brain.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1987; 11: 2-6
- Calculation of susceptibility through multiple orientation sampling (COSMOS): A method for conditioning the inverse problem from measured magnetic field map to susceptibility source image in MRI.Magn Reson Med. 2009; 61: 196-204
- Quantitative imaging of intrinsic magnetic tissue properties using MRI signal phase: an approach to in vivo brain iron metabolism?.Neuroimage. 2011; 54: 2789-2807
- Morphology enabled dipole inversion for quantitative susceptibility mapping using structural consistency between the magnitude image and the susceptibility map.Neuroimage. 2012; 59: 2560-2568
- Magnetic susceptibility mapping of brain tissue in vivo using MRI phase data.Magn Reson Med. 2009; 62: 1510-1522
- Susceptibility mapping in the human brain using threshold-based k-space division.Magn Reson Med. 2010; 63: 1292-1304
- Morphology Enabled Dipole Inversion (MEDI) from a Single-Angle Acquisition: Comparison with COSMOS in Human Brain Imaging.Magn Reson Med. 2011; 66: 777-783
- Whole-brain susceptibility mapping at high field: a comparison of multiple- and single-orientation methods.Neuroimage. 2010; 53: 515-525
- Quantitative Susceptibility Map Reconstruction from MR Phase Data Using Bayesian Regularization: Validation and Application to Brain Imaging.Magn Reson Med. 2010; 63: 194-206
- Clinical quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM): Biometal imaging and its emerging roles in patient care.Journal of magnetic resonance imaging : JMRI. 2017; 46: 951-971
- Quantitative susceptibility mapping of multiple sclerosis lesions at various ages.Radiology. 2014; 271: 183-192
- MRI-based quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM) and R2* mapping of liver iron overload: Comparison with SQUID-based biomagnetic liver susceptometry.Magn Reson Med. 2017; 78: 264-270
- Quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM): decoding MRI data for a tissue magnetic biomarker.Magn Reson Med. 2015; 73: 82-101
- Fabrication of a spherical inclusion phantom for validation of magnetic resonance-based magnetic susceptibility imaging.PLoS ONE. 2019; 14: e0220639https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0220639
- MRI-Based Quantification of Magnetic Susceptibility in Gel Phantoms: Assessment of Measurement and Calculation Accuracy.Radiol Res Pract. 2018; 2018: 6709525
- Susceptibility underestimation in a high-susceptibility phantom: Dependence on imaging resolution, magnitude contrast, and other parameters.Magn Reson Med. 2017; 78: 1080-1086
- Myelin and iron concentration in the human brain: a quantitative study of MRI contrast.Neuroimage. 2014; 93: 95-106
- Imaging iron stores in the brain using magnetic resonance imaging.Magn Reson Imaging. 2005; 23: 1-25
- The contribution of myelin to magnetic susceptibility-weighted contrasts in high-field MRI of the brain.Neuroimage. 2012; 59: 3967-3975
- Potential of quantitative susceptibility mapping for detection of prostatic calcifications.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2017; 45: 889-898
der, N.A.S., Ergebnisse der Exakten Naturwissenschaften: Zweiter Band. 2013: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Separating positive and negative susceptibility sources in QSM.Proc. Intl. Soc. Magn. Reson. Med. 2017; 25
- Magnetic susceptibility: Solutions, emulsions, and cells.Concepts in Magnetic Resonance Part A. 2003; 18A: 56-71
- An illustrated comparison of processing methods for MR phase imaging and QSM: combining array coil signals and phase unwrapping.NMR Biomed. 2017; 30e3601
- Selective depiction of susceptibility transitions using Laplace-filtered phase maps.Magn Reson Imaging. 2012; 30: 601-609
- An illustrated comparison of processing methods for phase MRI and QSM: removal of background field contributions from sources outside the region of interest.NMR Biomed. 2017; 30
- Theory of NMR signal behavior in magnetically inhomogeneous tissues: the static dephasing regime.Magn Reson Med. 1994; 32: 749-763
- Vessel radius mapping in an extended model of transverse relaxation.MAGMA. 2018; 31: 531-551
- Theory of the BOLD effect in the capillary region: an analytical approach for the determination of T2 in the capillary network of myocardium.Magn Reson Med. 1999; 41: 51-62
- Diffusion-mediated dephasing in the dipole field around a single spherical magnetic object.Magn Reson Imaging. 2015; 33: 1126-1145
- Analytical model of susceptibility-induced MR signal dephasing: effect of diffusion in a microvascular network.Magn Reson Med. 1999; 41: 499-509
- Vessel size imaging in humans.Magn Reson Med. 2005; 53: 553-563
- On the influence of two coexisting species of susceptibility-producing structures on the R2∗ relaxation rate.Magn Reson Imaging. 2020; 71: 170-177
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.CRC Press Boca Raton, FL1988
- Fiji: an open-source platform for biological-image analysis.Nat Methods. 2012; 9: 676-682
- Computationally Efficient Combination of Multi-channel Phase Data From Multi-echo Acquisitions (ASPIRE).Magn Reson Med. 2018; 79: 2996-3006
- Algorithm for fast monoexponential fitting based on Auto-Regression on Linear Operations (ARLO) of data.Magn Reson Med. 2015; 73: 843-850
- Quantitative susceptibility mapping of human brain reflects spatial variation in tissue composition.Neuroimage. 2011; 55: 1645-1656
- Integrated Laplacian-based phase unwrapping and background phase removal for quantitative susceptibility mapping.NMR Biomed. 2014; 27: 219-227
- Whole brain susceptibility mapping using compressed sensing.Magn Reson Med. 2012; 67: 137-147
- The medical imaging interaction toolkit.Med Image Anal. 2005; 9: 594-604
Schweser, F., et al. SEMI-TWInS : Simultaneous Extraction of Myelin and Iron using a T 2 *-Weighted Imaging Sequence. 2010.
- Assessment of mesoscopic properties of deep gray matter iron through a model-based simultaneous analysis of magnetic susceptibility and R2* – A pilot study in patients with multiple sclerosis and normal controls.NeuroImage. 2019; 186: 308-320
- Quantitative susceptibility mapping: Report from the 2016 reconstruction challenge.Magn Reson Med. 2018; 79: 1661-1673
- Quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM) as a means to measure brain iron?.A post mortem validation study. Neuroimage. 2012; 62: 1593-1599
- Teilchengröße und magnetische Suszeptibilität.Kolloid-Zeitschrift. 1937; 78: 9-18
- Mapping axonal density and average diameter using non-monotonic time-dependent gradient-echo MRI.J Magn Reson. 2017; 277: 117-130
- Gradient echo based fiber orientation mapping using R2*and frequency difference measurements.Neuroimage. 2013; 83: 1011-1023
- Feasibility of a direct-conversion method from magnetic susceptibility to relative electron density for radiation therapy treatment planning.International Journal of Medical Physics, Clinical Engineering and Radiation Oncology. 2017; 06: 252-265
- MRI-based automated detection of implanted low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy seeds using quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM) and unsupervised machine learning (ML).Radiother Oncol. 2018; 129: 540-547
- Postimplant Dosimetry of Permanent Prostate Brachytherapy: Comparison of MRI-Only and CT-MRI Fusion-Based Workflows.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020; 106: 206-215
- On the separation of susceptibility sources in quantitative susceptibility mapping: theory and phantom validation with an in vivo application to multiple sclerosis lesions of different age.J Magnetic Res. 2021; 107033https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmr.2021.107033