- •Barium-based internal shielding during maternal CTPA limits PE assessment.
- •AEC increases tube current over the region of barium filled stomach.
- •Although restricting scan length to the top of left hemidiaphragm may overcome such limitations, it is not ideal for assessing the entire lungs.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Pulmonary thrombo-embolism in pregnancy: diagnosis and management.Breathe (Sheff). 2015; 11: 282-289https://doi.org/10.1183/20734735.008815
- Pulmonary embolism in pregnancy.The Lancet. 2010 Feb 6; 375: 500-512
- CT in pregnancy: risks and benefits.Appl Radiol. 2013; 42: 6
- The impact of overscan on patient dose with first generation multislice CT scanners.Phys Med. 2011 Apr; 27 (Epub 2010 Apr 24 PMID: 20456992): 69-74https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2010.03.001
- The effect of z overscanning on patient effective dose from multidetector helical computed tomography examinations.Med Phys. 2005 Jun; 32 (PMID: 16013721): 1621-1629https://doi.org/10.1118/1.1924309
Singh S, Kalra MK. Scan parameters and CT radiation dose. InRadiation dose from multidetector CT 2012 (pp. 119-129). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- TO USE OR NOT USE PATIENT SHIELDING ON PREGNANT WOMEN UNDERGOING CT PULMONARY ANGIOGRAPHY: A PHANTOM STUDY.Radiat Prot Dosim. 2020; 189: 458-465https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/ncaa059
Hiles, P., Gilligan, P., Damilakis, J., Briers, E., Candela–Juan, C., Faj, D., ... & Vano, E. (2021). European consensus on patient contact shielding.
Samara, E. T., Saltybaeva, N., Sans Merce, M., Gianolini, S., & Ith, M. (2022). Systematic literature review on the benefit of patient protection shielding during medical X-ray imaging: Towards a discontinuation of the current practice. Physica medica : PM : an international journal devoted to the applications of physics to medicine and biology : official journal of the Italian Association of Biomedical Physics (AIFB), 94, 102–109. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2021.12.016.
- Patient shielding: The need for a European consensus statement.Physica medica : PM : an international journal devoted to the applications of physics to medicine and biology : official journal of the Italian Association of Biomedical Physics (AIFB). 2021; 82: 266-268https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2021.01.077
- Massive pulmonary embolism during pregnancy successfully treated with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator: a case report and review of treatment options.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 1221-1227https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.11.1221
- Use of lead shielding on pregnant patients undergoing CT scans: results of an international survey.Radiography. 2011; 17: 102-108
- Imaging pregnant patients with suspected pulmonary embolism: what the radiologist needs to know.Radiographics. 2009; 29: 639-654
- Mann–whitney u test. In Introduction to nonparametric statistics for the biological sciences using R.Springer, Cham2016: 103-132
- Internal barium shielding to minimize fetal irradiation in spiral chest CT: a phantom simulation experiment.Radiology. 2006; 239: 751-758https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2393042198
Ghaznavi, H. (2021). Reducing fetal radiation dose in computed tomography for pregnant patients: A.
- An official American Thoracic Society/Society of Thoracic Radiology clinical practice guideline: evaluation of suspected pulmonary embolism in pregnancy.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2011; 184: 1200-1208
- Diagnosis and management of isolated subsegmental pulmonary embolism: review and assessment of the options.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2012; 18: 20-26https://doi.org/10.1177/1076029611422363
- Reduced z-axis technique for CT Pulmonary angiography in pregnancy–validation for practical use and dose reduction.Emerg Radiol. 2015 Dec; 22 (Epub 2015 Aug 25 PMID: 26304188): 651-656https://doi.org/10.1007/s10140-015-1340-7
- Computed tomography pulmonary angiography during pregnancy: radiation dose of commonly used protocols and the effect of scan length optimization.Korean Journal of Radiology. 2019; 20: 313-322
- Assessment of dose reduction and image quality by barium composite shielding in head and chest CT.Radiat Eff Defects Solids. 2020; 175: 809-826
- Radiation dose reduction in computed tomography: techniques and future perspective.Imaging Med. 2009; 1: 65-84https://doi.org/10.2217/iim.09.5
- Use of expiratory CT pulmonary angiography to reduce inspiration and breath-hold associated artefact: contrast dynamics and implications for scan protocol.Clin Radiol. 2011; 66: 1159-1166https://doi.org/10.1016/j.crad.2011.06.012
- Computed Tomography Pulmonary Angiography during Pregnancy: Radiation Dose of Commonly Used Protocols and the Effect of Scan Length Optimization.Korean J Radiol. 2019; 20: 313-322https://doi.org/10.3348/kjr.2017.0779
Hara AK, Paden RG, Silva AC, Kujak JL, Lawder HJ, Pavlicek W. Iterative reconstruction technique for reducing body radiation dose at CT: feasibility study [published correction appears in AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009 Oct;193(4):1190]. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009;193(3):764-771. doi:10.2214/AJR.09.2397.
Angel E, Wellnitz CV, Goodsitt MM, et al. Radiation dose to the fetus for pregnant patients undergoing multidetector CT imaging: Monte Carlo simulations estimating fetal dose for a range of gestational age and patient size [published correction appears in Radiology. 2010 May;255(2):664. Dosage error in article text]. Radiology. 2008;249(1):220-227. doi:10.1148/radiol.2491071665.