- •The study analyzes MRI availability in 32 (59%) of the 54 African countries.
- •MR systems in 4 northern countries make up 53% of all MR systems available in the 32 studied African countries.
- •Less than a third of the surveyed African countries have 1 MR system for less than a million population.
- •The 32 studied African countries altogether have average of 1 MRI system per million population.
- •Published literature on brain examinations dominate quantitative MRI published studies in Africa in the last 5 years.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
- Image formation by induced local interactions: examples employing nuclear magnetic resonance.Nature. 1973; 242: 190-191https://doi.org/10.1038/242190a0
- Multi-planar image formation using NMR spin echoes.J Phys C: Solid State Phys. 1977; 10: L55https://doi.org/10.1088/0022-3719/10/3/004
- Magnetic resonance imaging of brain tumors: measurement of T1.Work Progr Radiol. 1984; 150: 95-98https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.150.1.6689793
- Primary intracranial tumor imaging: a comparison of magnetic resonance and CT.Radiology. 1984; 150: 435-440https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.150.2.6691098
- History and evolution of brain tumor imaging: insights through radiology.Radiology. 2014; 273: S111-S125https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.14140130
- Status of MR in South Africa.South Afr J Radiol. 2000 Aug 31; 4: 3https://doi.org/10.4102/sajr.v4i3.1785
Centre D’Imagerie Medicale D’Alger, https://www.cima.dz/en/center/ [accessed 27 July 2022].
- Survey of magnetic resonance imaging availability in West Africa.Pan Afr Med J. 2018; 30: 240https://doi.org/10.11604/pamj.2018.30.240.14000
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) utilization in a Ghanaian teaching hospital: trend and policy implications.Ghana Med J. 2020; 54: 3-9https://doi.org/10.4314/gmj.v54i1.2
- Malawi's new magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) centre.Malawi Med J J Med Associat Malawi. 2009; 21: 5-11
Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation. Health: President Rupiah Banda commissions an MRI scanner at UTH, Lusakatimes.com, https://www.lusakatimes.com/2010/09/14/president-rupiah-banda-commisions-mri-scanner-uth/; 2010 [accessed 27 July 2022].
German Medical Center, https://germanmedicalcenter.net/departments/mri/ [accessed 27 July 2022].
International Trade Administration. Morocco – Country commercial guide. Healthcare, https://www.trade.gov/country-commercial-guides/morocco-healthcare/ [accessed 27 July 2022].
University of Cape Town. Cutting-edge MRI research facility launched, http://www.health.uct.ac.za/news/cutting-edge-mri-research-facility-launched/; 2015 [accessed 27 July 2022].
European Society for Hybrid, Molecular and Translational Imaging. Africa’s first PET/MRI scanner: interview with Dr. Yasser Abd El-Azim Abbas, https://www.eshi-society.org/interview-africas-first-pet-mri/ [accessed 27 July 2022].
The European Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology. Working Groups, https://www.esmrmb.org/working-groups/ [accessed 27 July 2022].
World Bank Data 2020, https://data.worldbank.org/. [accessed 27 July 2022].
Statista, https://www.statista.com/statistics/282401/density-of-magnetic-resonance-imaging-units-by-country/; 2021 [accessed 27 July 2022].
World Health Organization. Global Atlas of Medical Devices, https://www.who.int/teams/health-product-policy-and-standards/assistive-and-medical-technology/medical-devices/global-atlas-of-medical-devices/; 2017 [accessed 27 July 2022].
- An audit of MRI machines and services in Ghana.Radiography. 2021; 27: 127-131https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radi.2020.07.004
Ige TA, Hasford F, Tabakov S, Trauernicht CJ, Rule A, Azangwe G et al., Medical Physics Developments in Africa - Status, Education, Challenges, Future. Special Issue: History of Medical Physics 3: Medical Phys Int J, 2020;8(1):303-316.
- Medical physics services in radiology and nuclear medicine in Africa: Challenges and opportunities identified through workforce and infrastructure surveys.Health Technol. 2022; 12: 729-737https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-022-00663-w
- Audit of MRI protocol, referral pattern and appropriateness of clinical indications for lumbar spine MRI use for adult low back pain: A single-centre study in Ghana.J Public Health Policy Plann. 2019; 3: 25-32
- 0.35 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging findings in a cohort of 399 seizure patients. Experience from a single centre in Nigeria.Ann Clin Biomed Res. 2022; 3https://doi.org/10.4081/acbr.2022.188
- Magnetic resonance imaging findings in patients presenting with headache in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria.J Biomed Sci. 2019; 8
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings in Childhood Epilepsy at a Tertiary Hospital in Kenya.Front Neurol. 2021; 12623960https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2021.623960
- 1.5 Tesla magnetic resonance imaging to investigate potential etiologies of brain swelling in pediatric cerebral malaria.Am J Trop Med Hygiene. 2018;98(2):497.; https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.17-0309
- Emotion processing in Parkinson’s disease: a blood oxygenation level-dependent functional magnetic resonance imaging study.Neural Regener Res. 2019; 14: 666https://doi.org/10.4103/1673-5374.247470
- Reliability assessment of a mechanism-based approach to post-injury knee magnetic resonance imaging interpretation by general radiologists.SA Journal of Radiology. 2018; 22: 1-7https://doi.org/10.4102/sajr.v22i1.1253
- The added value of qualitative and quantitative diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (DW-MRI) in differentiating benign from malignant breast lesions.Egypt J Radiol Nucl Med. 2018; 49: 272-280
- Cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging reveals asymptomatic cardiomyopathy in newly diagnosed, HIV-infected South African adults. European Heart Journal-Cardiovascular.Imaging. 2021;22(Supplement_1):jeaa356-302.;
- Incidental sinus findings in brain MRI for suspected intracranial disease.Sahel Med J. 2021; 24: 165-171
- Intraventricular cerebrospinal fluid pulsation artifacts on low-field magnetic resonance imaging: Potential pitfall in diagnosis?.Niger Med J. 2016; 57: 59-63https://doi.org/10.4103/0300-1652.180565
- Ocular axial length measurement among normal adults using magnetic resonance imaging.Nigerian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2017; 25: 6-10https://doi.org/10.4103/0189-9171.207373
- Normative measurements of the ocular globe position in relation to interzygomatic line, using magnetic resonance imaging among adults in Zaria, Nigeria.West African Journal of Radiology. 2016 Jul 1; 23: 118https://doi.org/10.4103/1115-3474.187970
- Normal measurements of the optic nerve, optic nerve sheath and optic chiasm in the adult population.SA Journal of Radiology. 2019; 23: 1-7https://doi.org/10.4102/sajr.v23i1.1772
- Neuroimaging young children and associations with neurocognitive development in a South African birth cohort study.NeuroImage. 2020; 219116846https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2020.116846
- Cerebral malaria is associated with long-term mental health disorders: a cross sectional survey of a long-term cohort.Malar J. 2016; 15: 184https://doi.org/10.1186/s12936-016-1233-6
- Resting-state functional magnetic resonance imaging in clade C HIV: within-group association with neurocognitive function.Journal of neurovirology. 2017; 23: 875-885https://doi.org/10.1007/s13365-017-0581-5
- Brain volumetrics, regional cortical thickness and radiographic findings in children with cyanotic congenital heart disease using quantitative magnetic resonance imaging.The Egyptian Journal of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine. 2016; 47: 1617-1627https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrnm.2016.09.003
- Diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging strategies for color mapping of human brain anatomy.J Med Sign Sens. 2018; 8: 73-80https://doi.org/10.4103/jmss.JMSS_14_17
- New pseudo-CT generation approach from magnetic resonance imaging using a local texture descriptor.J Biomed Phys Eng. 2018; 8: 53-64
- Deep Learning Model for Magnetic Resonance Imaging Brain Tumor Recognition.WAS Science Nature (WASSN). 2021; 5: 1-11
- Development of convolutional neural network-based diagnostic system for detection of coronavirus using Magnetic Resonant Imaging (MRI).Int J Adv Eng Manage. 2021; 3: 1865-1886
- Magnetic resonance imaging versus proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in neonatal hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy in Egyptian population: pilot study.J Neurol, Neurol Sci Disorders. 2017; 3: 43-50
- Magnetic resonance imaging in chronic headache: our experiences and perspectives.Afr Health Sci. 2020; 20: 1496-1506https://doi.org/10.4314/ahs.v20i3.56
- Magnetic resonance imaging of fibroadenoma-like lesions and correlation with Breast Imaging-Reporting and Data System and Kaiser scoring system.SA J Radiol. 2018; 22: 1532https://doi.org/10.4102/sajr.v22i2.1532
- Differentiation of breast tuberculosis and breast cancer using diffusion-weighted, T2-weighted and dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging.SA J Radiol. 2018; 22: 1377https://doi.org/10.4102/sajr.v22i2.1377
- A systematic review of the utility of 1.5 versus 3 Tesla magnetic resonance brain imaging in clinical practice and research.Eur Radiol. 2012; 22: 2295-2303https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-012-2500-8
Personal Communication: Prof E Meintjes, University of Cape Town [13 April 2022].
Chang Zuckerberg Initiative. Strengthening MRI Education & Research in African Countries https://chanzuckerberg.com/imaging/strengthening-mri-education-research-in-african-countries/#:∼:text=The%20Consortium%20for%20Advancement%20of,mentorship%20program%20in%20African%20countries, [accessed 27 July 2022].
Federation of African Medical Physics Organizations (FAMPO). https://fampo-africa.org, [accessed 27 July 2022].
International Labour Office. International Standard Classification of Occupations (ISCO-08) – Structure, group definitions and correspondence tables. 2012, Geneva. ISBN 978–92–2–125953–4 (web pdf). https://www.ilo.org/public/english/bureau/stat/isco/docs/healthocc.pdf, [accessed 27 July 2022].
Lee VS. MRI: From Science to Society. Special Communication: 2012 ISMRM Lauterbur Lecture. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2013;37(4): 753-760. Doi: 10.1002/jmri.24044.