- •3D-CRT, IMRT and VMAT plans for Wilms tumor were made on hybrid pediatric phantoms.
- •Organ- and age-specific radiation risk data were estimated based on treatment plans.
- •IMRT/VMAT led to better target coverage, dose homogeneity and conformity than 3DCRT.
- •Flank 3D-CRT provided a superior organ sparing in respect to IMRT/VMAT.
- •Flank and paraaortic lymph node IMRT/VMAT improved organ sparing compared to 3D-CRT.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
PDQ Pediatric Treatment Editorial Board. PDQ Wilms tumor and other childhood kidney tumor treatment. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute. Available at https://www.cancer.gov/types/kidney/hp/wilms-treatment-pdq ; 2022 [accessed 5 April 2022].
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Wilms tumor (nephroblastoma), version 2.2021, http://www.nccn.org ; 2021 [accessed 17 June 2021].
- Advances in Wilms tumor treatment and biology: Progress through international collaboration.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 2999-3007
Kalapurakal JA.Wilms tumor. In: Halperin EC, Wazer DE, Perez CA, Brady LW,editors. Principles and practice of radiation oncology. 7thed. Philadelphia, WoltersKluver; 2019, p 2006-27.
- Late effects in children treated with radiation therapy for Wilms’ tumor.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2000; 46: 1239-1246
- Evaluation of late adverse events in long-term Wilms’ tumor survivors.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010; 78: 370-378
- Late toxicity in Wilms tumor patients treated with radiotherapy at 15 years of median follow-up.J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2010; 32e264-e267
- Second primary neoplasms in survivors of Wilms’ tumour-A population-based cohort study from the British Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.Int J Cancer. 2008; 122: 2085-2093
- The SIOP-renal tumour study group consensus statement on flank target volume delineation for highly conformal radiotherapy.Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2020; 4: 846-852
- Advantages of whole-liver intensity modulated radiation therapy in children with Wilms tumor and liver metastasis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: 754-760
- Cardiac-sparing whole lung IMRT in children with lung metastasis.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 85: 761-767
- Heart-sparing volumetric modulated arc therapy for whole lung irradiation..Strahlenther Onkol. 2019; 195: 77-82
- Effective heart-sparing whole lung irradiation using volumetric modulated arc therapy: a case report.J Med Case Rep. 2019; 13: 277
- Kidney-sparing whole abdominal irradiation in Wilms tumor: Potential advantages of VMAT technique.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020; 67: e28223
- Estimated clinical benefit of combining highly conformal target volumeswith Volumetric-Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) versus conventional flank irradiation in pediatric renal tumors.Clin Transl Radiat Oncol. 2021; 29: 20-26
- Abdominal cancer during early childhood: A dosimetric comparison of proton beams to standard and advanced photon radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2008; 89: 141-149
- A set of 4D pediatric XCAT reference phantoms for multimodality research.Med Phys. 2014; 1033701
Valentin J. Basic anatomical and physiological data for use in radiological protection: Reference values. ICRP Publication 89. Ann ICRP 2002;32(3-4):1-277.
- Potential benefit of MRI-guided IMRT for flankradiation in pediatric patients with Wilms’ tumor.Acta Oncol. 2019; 58: 243-250
- Conformity index: a review.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2006; 64: 333-342
- Qunatifying the degree of conformity inradiosurgery treatment planning.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2003; 55: 1409-1419
- A systematically compiled set of quantitative metrics to describe spatial characteristics of radiotherapy dose distributions and aid in treatment planning.Phys Med. 2021; 90: 164-175
- A conformation number to quantify the degree of conformality in brachytherapy and external beam irradiation: Application to the prostate.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997; 37: 731-736
- Performance of the irregular surface compensator with four-field box and intensity modulated radiation therapy for gynecologic cancer.Phys Med. 2016; 32: 1537-1542
- Site-specific dose-response relationships for cancer induction from the combined Japanese A-bomb and Hodgkin cohorts for doses relevant to radiotherapy.Theor Biol Med Model. 2011; 8: 27
- Effect of recent changes in atomic bomb survivor dosimetry on cancer mortality risk estimates.Radiat Res. 2004; 162: 377-389
- Models for the risk of secondary cancers from radiation therapy.Phys Med. 2017; 42: 232-238
- Out-of-field organ doses and associated risk of cancer development following radiation therapy with photons.Phys Med. 2021; 90: 73-82
- Assessing the radiation-induced cancer risk in proton therapy for pediatric brain tumors: the impact of employing a patient-specific aperture in pencil beam scanning.Phys Med Biol. 2016; 61: 12-22
- Risk of contralateral and ipsilateral lung cancer induction from forward-planned IMRT for breast carcinoma.Phys Med. 2019; 60: 44-49
- External photon radiation treatment for prostate cancer: Uncomplicated cancer-free control probability assessment of 36 plans.Phys Med. 2019; 66: 88-96
- Radiation dose and cancer risk to out-of-field and partially in-field organs from radiotherapy for symptomatic vertebral hemangiomas.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 1841-1848
- Radiotherapy Treatment planning study Guidelines (RATING): A framework for setting up and reporting on scientific treatment planning studies.Radiother Oncol. 2020; 153: 67-78
- Proton therapy for pediatric malignancies: Fact, figures and costs. A joint consensus statement from the pediatric subcommittee of PTCOG, PROS and EPTN.Radiother Oncol. 2018; 128: 44-55
- Assessment of uncertainties in radiation-induced cancer risk predictions at clinically relevant doses.Med Phys. 2015; 42: 81-89