- •Automated kV planar radiographic imaging QA procedures were established.
- •Automated MV planar radiographic imaging QA procedures were established.
- •SNC Machine KV and MV QA phantoms and the accompanying software were utilized.
- •The proposed automated workflow was found to be straightforward and time efficient.
To establish automated quality assurance (QA) procedures for the kilovoltage (kV) and the Megavoltage (MV) imagers of two linear accelerators (LINACS) using a commercial software.
SNC Machine™ phantoms and software were used and the baseline values, tolerance and action levels for various image quality parameters were defined. Scaling, spatial resolution, contrast, uniformity and noise were considered, explored and evaluated utilizing the appropriate phantoms and the accompanying software. kV and MV planar radiographic images, for 6MV and 10MV beams were obtained for each LINAC. For both kV and MV QA tasks, the baseline values for spatial resolution, contrast, uniformity and noise were defined.
Subsequent measurements performed were highly reproducible and within tolerance and action levels, while noise showed variations. The calculated tolerance and action levels for noise were looser compared to the other image quality metrics.
An automated QA workflow of the kV and MV planar radiographic mode of LINAC imagers’ was established and appears to be time effective.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Image Guidance in Radiation Therapy: Techniques and Applications.Radiol Res Pract. 2014; 2014: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/705604
- The more IGRT systems, the merrier?.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2017; 18: 7-11https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.12126
- The role of imaging in the management of non-metastatic cervical cancer.Med Oncol. 2012; 29: 3389-3393https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-012-0238-4
- An evaluation of the stability of image-quality parameters of Varian on-board imaging (OBI) and EPID imaging systems.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2015; 16: 87-98https://doi.org/10.1120/jacmp.v16i2.5088
- Assessment and evaluation of MV image guidance system performance in radiotherapy.Reports Pract Oncol Radiother. 2015; 20: 188-197https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rpor.2015.01.002
- CBCT image quality QA: Establishing a quantitative program.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2020; 21: 215-225https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.13062
- An evaluation of the stability of image quality parameters of Elekta X-ray volume imager and iViewGT imaging systems.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2018; 19: 64-70https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.12289
- AAPM Task Group 198 Report: An implementation guide for TG 142 quality assurance of medical accelerators.Med Phys. 2021; 48: e830-e835https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.14992
- Task group 142 report: Quality assurance of medical acceleratorsa.Med Phys. 2009; 36: 4197-4212https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3190392
- Medical physics 3.0: A renewed model for practicing medical physics in clinical imaging. Phys.Medica. 2022; 94: 53-57https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2021.12.020
- Quality assurance of dose management systems.Phys Medica. 2022; 99: 10-15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2022.05.002
- A quality assurance program for the on-board imager®.Med Phys. 2006; 33: 4431-4447https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2362872
- Imaging system QA of a medical accelerator, Novalis Tx, for IGRT per TG 142: Our 1 year experience.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2012; 13: 113-140https://doi.org/10.1120/jacmp.v13i4.3754
- Development of clinically relevant QA procedures for the BrainLab ExacTrac imaging system.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2018; 19: 108-113https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.12301
- VitalBeamTM System Specifications. 2014; : 22
Sun Nuclear Corporation. SNC Machine TM Reference Guide Automated TG-142 Solution n.d.
Tools D. SNC Machine Work Aids Automated TG-142 Solution n.d.
- Investigation and Application of High Megavoltage X-Ray Imaging Mode in Radiotherapy.Int J Med Physics, Clin Eng Radiat Oncol. 2016; 05: 42-50https://doi.org/10.4236/ijmpcero.2016.51005
- Characterization and evaluation of 2.5 MV electronic portal imaging for accurate localization of intra-and extracranial stereotactic radiosurgery.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016; 17: 268-284https://doi.org/10.1120/jacmp.v17i4.6247
- Technical Note: Assessing the performance of monthly CBCT image quality QA.Med Phys. 2019; 46: 2575-2579https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.13535
Published online: February 24, 2023
Accepted: January 31, 2023
Received in revised form: December 22, 2022
Received: October 8, 2022
© 2023 Associazione Italiana di Fisica Medica e Sanitaria. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.