- •A deep learning-based method was developed for VMAT dose distribution.
- •A structure loss (Lstruct) was proposed to calculate errors per input contour labels.
- •Model performance of Lstruct was compared with a standard L2 loss.
- •Lstruct model yielded more accurate dose distributions and outperformed L2 loss.
Deep learning (DL)-based dose distribution prediction can potentially reduce the cost of inverse planning process. We developed and introduced a structure-focused loss (Lstruct) for 3D dose prediction to improve prediction accuracy. This study investigated the influence of Lstruct on DL-based dose prediction for patients with prostate cancer. The proposed Lstruct, which is similar in concept to dose–volume histogram (DVH)-based optimization in clinical practice, has the potential to provide more interpretable and accurate DL-based optimization.
This study involved 104 patients who underwent prostate radiotherapy. We used 3D U-Net-based architecture to predict dose distributions from computed tomography and contours of the planning target volume and organs-at-risk. We trained two models using different loss functions: L2 loss and Lstruct. Predicted doses were compared in terms of dose–volume parameters and the Dice similarity coefficient of isodose volume.
DVH analysis showed that the Lstruct model had smaller errors from the ground truth than the L2 model. The Lstruct model achieved more consistent dose distributions than the L2 model, with errors close to zero. The isodose Dice score of the Lstruct model was greater than that of the L2 model by >20% of the prescribed dose.
We developed Lstruct using labels of inputted contours for DL-based dose prediction for prostate radiotherapy. Lstruct can be generalized to any DL architecture, thereby enhancing the dose prediction accuracy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Role of beam orientation optimization in intensity-modulated radiation therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001; 50: 551-560
- Quantitative analysis of the factors which affect the interpatient organ-at-risk dose sparing variation in IMRT plans.Med Phys. 2012; 39: 6868-6878
- IMRT treatment planning:- a comparative inter-system and inter-centre planning exercise of the ESTRO QUASIMODO group.Radiother Oncol. 2005; 76: 354-361
- A broad scope knowledge based model for optimization of VMAT in esophageal cancer: validation and assessment of plan quality among different treatment centers.Radiat Oncol. 2015; 10
- Clinical validation and benchmarking of knowledge-based IMRT and VMAT treatment planning in pelvic anatomy.Radiother Oncol. 2016; 120: 473-479
- Evaluation of a knowledge-based planning solution for head and neck cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015; 91: 612-620
- Characterization of knowledge-based volumetric modulated arc therapy plans created by three different institutions' models for prostate cancer.Rep Pract Oncol Radiother. 2020; 25: 1023-1028
- Knowledge-based prediction of three-dimensional dose distributions for external beam radiotherapy.Med Phys. 2016; 43: 378-387
- A convolutional neural network approach for IMRT dose distribution prediction in prostate cancer patients.J Radiat Res. 2019; 60: 685-693
- A feasibility study for predicting optimal radiation therapy dose distributions of prostate cancer patients from patient anatomy using deep learning.Sci Rep. 2019; 9: 1076
- A feasibility study on deep learning-based individualized 3D dose distribution prediction.Med Phys. 2021; 48: 4438-4447
- A deep learning method for prediction of three-dimensional dose distribution of helical tomotherapy.Med Phys. 2019; 46: 1972-1983
- Automatic treatment planning based on three-dimensional dose distribution predicted from deep learning technique.Med Phys. 2019; 46: 370-381
- A feasibility study on an automated method to generate patient-specific dose distributions for radiotherapy using deep learning.Med Phys. 2019; 46: 56-64
- A method of using deep learning to predict three-dimensional dose distributions for intensity-modulated radiotherapy of rectal cancer.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2020; 21: 26-37
- Deep learning method for prediction of patient-specific dose distribution in breast cancer.Radiat Oncol. 2021; 16
- Deep reinforcement learning for treatment planning in high-dose-rate cervical brachytherapy.Phys Med. 2022; 94: 1-7
- 3D radiotherapy dose prediction on head and neck cancer patients with a hierarchically densely connected U-net deep learning architecture.Phys Med Biol. 2019; 64: 065020
- Automatic segmentation using deep learning to enable online dose optimization during adaptive radiation therapy of cervical cancer.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2021; 109: 1096-1110
- Segmentation of organs-at-risk in cervical cancer CT images with a convolutional neural network.Phys Med. 2020; 69: 184-191
- A review of deep learning based methods for medical image multi-organ segmentation.Phys Med. 2021; 85: 107-122
- Prediction and classification of VMAT dosimetric accuracy using plan complexity and log-files analysis.Phys Med. 2022; 103: 76-88
- Machine learning-based predictions of gamma passing rates for virtual specific-plan verification based on modulation maps, monitor unit profiles, and composite dose images.Phys Med Biol. 2022; 67: 245001
- Quality assurance-based optimization (QAO): Towards improving patient-specific quality assurance in volumetric modulated arc therapy plans using machine learning.Phys Med. 2021; 87: 136-143
- MR-based synthetic CT generation using a deep convolutional neural network method.Med Phys. 2017; 44: 1408-1419
- Feasibility of synthetic computed tomography generated with an adversarial network for multi-sequence magnetic resonance-based brain radiotherapy.J Radiat Res. 2020; 61: 92-103
- A high-performance method of deep learning for prostate MR-only radiotherapy planning using an optimized Pix2Pix architecture.Phys Med. 2022; 103: 108-118
- Deformable CT image registration via a dual feasible neural network.Med Phys. 2022; 49: 7545-7554
- Seq2Morph: A deep learning deformable image registration algorithm for longitudinal imaging studies and adaptive radiotherapy.Med Phys. 2022; (oline ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.16026
- A method of rapid quantification of patient-specific organ doses for CT using deep-learning-based multi-organ segmentation and GPU-accelerated Monte Carlo dose computing.Med Phys. 2020; 47: 2526-2536
- Evaluation of complexity and deliverability of prostate cancer treatment plans designed with a knowledge-based VMAT planning technique.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2020; 21: 69-77
- Development of the open-source dose calculation and optimization toolkit matRad.Med Phys. 2017; 44: 2556-2568
- Treatment plan prediction for lung IMRT using deep learning based fluence map generation.Phys Med. 2022; 99: 44-54
- Accelerate treatment planning process using deep learning generated fluence maps for cervical cancer radiation therapy.Med Phys. 2022; 49: 2631-2641
Published online: February 10, 2023
Accepted: February 3, 2023
Received in revised form: January 18, 2023
Received: October 6, 2022
© 2023 Associazione Italiana di Fisica Medica e Sanitaria. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.