- •End-to-end tests in a dynamic respiratory thorax phantom revealed dose deviations up to 10%.
- •Largest deviations were observed for the smallest 1 cm diameter target.
- •Deviations were not highlighted by classical quality controls.
- •Calculations algorithms tend to underestimate the dose.
The aim of this study is to perform patient quality controls and end-to-end tests for stereotactic VMAT lung treatment plans and to investigate the influence of various parameters on the results.
18 plans were defined by an experimental design methodology to cover a large variety of stereotactic VMAT lung treatments including different doses per fraction, target diameters, target movements and respiratory parameters. Plans were first controlled using portal dosimetry and a homogeneous static cylindrical phantom. End-to-end tests were then performed in a dynamic respiratory thorax phantom. Measurements were conducted with ionization chamber and films. Calculations were performed with the AcurosXB and AAA algorithms in 6 FFF.
Portal dosimetry gave excellent gamma pass rates (greater than 97.1 %) and dose deviations between measurement and calculations in a homogeneous static phantom were smaller than 2 %. The methodology followed for comparing calculated and measured doses in a moving target was validated in static fields (largest deviation smaller than 2 %). End-to-end tests showed mean deviations of 1.9 %, 3.3 % and 6.6 % for the 3, 2 and 1 cm diameter’s target respectively. Deviations increased for larger movements for the 1 cm lesion.
End-to-end tests revealed that stereotactic VMAT lung treatment plans for moving targets can be delivered within 5 % for 3 and 2 cm diameter targets and amplitudes up to 1.5 cm. The AcurosXB and AAA algorithms however tend to underestimate the dose to the target. Even with satisfactory patient quality controls like portal dosimetry, extra care should be taken for GTV lesions smaller than 2 cm.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Physica Medica: European Journal of Medical Physics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The management of respiratory motion in radiation oncology report of AAPM Task Group 76.Med Phys. 2006; 33: 3874-3900https://doi.org/10.1118/1.2349696
- ESTRO ACROP consensus guideline on implementation and practice of stereotactic body radiotherapy for peripherally located early stage non-small cell lung cancer.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 124: 11-17
- A multicentre “end to end” dosimetry audit of motion management (4DCT-defined motion envelope) in radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 125: 453-458https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2017.09.033
- A study of the interplay effect in radiation therapy using a Monte-Carlo model.Phys Med. 2021; 87: 73-82
- Dose deviations induced by respiratory motion for radiotherapy of lung tumors: Impact of CT reconstruction, plan complexity, and fraction size.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2020; 21: 68-79https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.12847
- Minimizing dose variation from the interplay effect in stereotactic radiation therapy using volumetric modulated arc therapy for lung cancer.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2018; 19: 121-127
- Dosimetric impact of the interplay effect during stereotactic lung radiation therapy delivery using flattening filter-free beams and volumetric modulated arc therapy.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013; 86: 743-748https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.03.038
- Technical and dosimetric implications of respiratory induced density variations in a heterogeneous lung phantom.Radiat Oncol. 2018; 13: 165https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-018-1110-2
- 4DCT and VMAT for lung patients with irregular breathing.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2022; 23: e13453
- Interplay effects in highly modulated stereotactic body radiation therapy lung cases treated with volumetric modulated arc therapy.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2020; 21: 58-69https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.13028
- ITV versus mid-ventilation for treatment planning in lung SBRT: a comparison of target coverage and PTV adequacy by using in-treatment 4D cone beam CT.Radiat Oncol. 2020; 15: 54https://doi.org/10.1186/s13014-020-01496-5
- Incorporation of tumor motion directionality in margin recipe: The directional MidP strategy.Phys Med. 2021; 91: 43-53
- A national dosimetry audit for stereotactic ablative radiotherapy in lung.Radiother Oncol. 2017; 122: 406-410
- Results of a multicentre dosimetry audit using a respiratory phantom within the EORTC LungTech trial.Radiother Oncol. 2019; 138: 106-113
- End-to-end test for lung SBRT: An Italian multicentric pilot experience.Phys Med. 2022; 104: 129-135
- Acuros(®) dose verification of ultrasmall lung lesions with EBT-XD film in a homogeneous and heterogeneous anthropomorphic phantom setup.Med Phys. 2020; 47: 5829-5837https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.14485
IAEA. Absorbed Dose Determination in External Beam Radiotherapy: An International Code of Practice for Dosimetry based on Standards of Absorbed Dose to Water 2006.
- Multichannel film dosimetry with nonuniformity correction.Med Phys. 2011; 38: 2523-2534https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3576105
- Report of AAPM Task Group 235 Radiochromic Film Dosimetry: An Update to TG-55.Med Phys. 2020; 47: 5986-6025
- The design of experiments.Macmillan Pub Co, Edinburgh1937
- Quality engineering: The Taguchi Method.Wiley-Interscience, 2007
- Reduction of margin to compensate the respiratory tumor motion by the analysis of dosimetric internal target volume in lung SBRT with nonuniform volume prescription method.Med Phys. 2021; 48: 3200-3207
- Dosimetry of small fields used in external beam radiotherapy.Int Atomic Energy Agency Technical Report Series. 2017; 483
- Report of AAPM Task Group 155: Megavoltage photon beam dosimetry in small fields and non-equilibrium conditions.Med Phys. 2021; 48https://doi.org/10.1002/mp.15030
- Evaluation of the uncertainty in an EBT3 film dosimetry system utilizing net optical density.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016; 17: 466-481https://doi.org/10.1120/jacmp.v17i5.6262
- Tolerance limits and methodologies for IMRT measurement-based verification QA.Med Phys. 2018; 45: e53-e83
- On the validity of density overrides for VMAT lung SBRT planning.Med Phys. 2014; 41: 081707
- The dosimetric effect of electron density overrides in 3DCRT Lung SBRT for a range of lung tumor dimensions.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2018; 19: 79-87https://doi.org/10.1002/acm2.12446
- On the interplay effect for moving targets treated with the CyberKnife static tracking system.Phys Med. 2021; 90: 30-39https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmp.2021.08.016
Published online: February 17, 2023
Accepted: February 13, 2023
Received in revised form: January 9, 2023
Received: November 14, 2022
© 2023 Associazione Italiana di Fisica Medica e Sanitaria. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.